Page 8 of 12

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 03:11 am
by PTRACER

Bottom post of the previous page:

Image

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 00:28 am
by hollie3sa
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Image
Amazing!

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 04:51 am
by Everso Biggyballies
Just for interest / reference here is an onboard lap (poor quality) I think of the same old Fuji Speedway track in the pic.

Commentary is obviously Japanese..... I did understand one bit though..... righ han kornah! :haha:


Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 20:12 pm
by XcraigX
Had no idea the old Fuji was banked. Never caught that old race on TV. From what years was this configuration used?

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 22:47 pm
by Michkov
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Had no idea the old Fuji was banked. Never caught that old race on TV. From what years was this configuration used?
The original plan for Fuji was for the track to be an oval in style of Talladega or Daytona. Financial and architectural reasons conspired against that. First they pretty much ran out of money after the first banked turn was completed and what was build wasn't the usual up a ramp and lean into the corner entry we are used to. Rather it was a configuration where the cars dropped into the corner which tended to upset the cars entering the corner making it a rather dangerous prospect even for the 60s

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 00:57 am
by PTRACER
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Had no idea the old Fuji was banked. Never caught that old race on TV. From what years was this configuration used?
Around 74/75 I guess? After some fatal accidents they realised it was a bit dangerous.

I walked the remains of the banking the year before last. Can’t remember if I posted the pictures on the forum, but if you want to see them give me a shout.

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 09:46 am
by hollie3sa
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Had no idea the old Fuji was banked. Never caught that old race on TV. From what years was this configuration used?
Around 74/75 I guess? After some fatal accidents they realised it was a bit dangerous.

I walked the remains of the banking the year before last. Can’t remember if I posted the pictures on the forum, but if you want to see them give me a shout.
Yes please :-)

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 05:16 am
by PTRACER
hollie3sa wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 3 years ago Had no idea the old Fuji was banked. Never caught that old race on TV. From what years was this configuration used?
Around 74/75 I guess? After some fatal accidents they realised it was a bit dangerous.

I walked the remains of the banking the year before last. Can’t remember if I posted the pictures on the forum, but if you want to see them give me a shout.
Yes please :-)
:thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16849

Also @XcraigX

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:00 am
by PTRACER
Very high res image of Goodwood, taken on 19th April 1946:

Image

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 01:06 am
by Michkov
Silverstone sometime between 64 and 73 most likely the mid 60s.
Image

@PTRACER may be of interest to you for your GPL project.

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 02:24 am
by PTRACER
Michkov wrote: 3 years ago Silverstone sometime between 64 and 73 most likely the mid 60s.
Image

@PTRACER may be of interest to you for your GPL project.
Useful for trackside objects for sure, thanks!

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 08:38 am
by erwin greven
TT Assen track in 1955.
Image

Image

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 00:14 am
by noid12342002
Great picture of the old Assen. Love these old timephotos.

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 16:57 pm
by JBT
Michkov wrote: 3 years ago Silverstone sometime between 64 and 73 most likely the mid 60s.
Image

@PTRACER may be of interest to you for your GPL project.
'71 according to reverse search through Google Lens.

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 14:52 pm
by marshall
Image

Image

Francorchamps 1930

Re: Old aerial shots of circuits (incl. Silverstone, Brands...)

Posted: Tue May 03, 2022 13:42 pm
by PTRACER
The left 'lobe' of Nepliget Park. The original layout is basically all there except for one corner in the top right of the image, which is now just a straight, because of a power station that was built in the park. Apparently it's not the safest place to go for a walk...

Image