STAKE F1 TEAM KICK SAUBER

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Adam Baker - Biography
CEO of Audi Formula Racing GmbH
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/bio ... aphy-14967
Having more time in the summer, I got to read Adam's biography I'd skipped initially. The man has German citizenship (2018), but he is Aussi by birth and education. Interesting. I wonder if Audi finds then some Aussi friends around here. I also see that he moved around a lot. I wonder if that's good or not. Current economies do force people to adapt whether they like it or not. That's an accepted fact. A wise man told me once that I should move in my career not more than three times and try to settle down at 30. That might not be possible in most cases anymore. Association with some names in his Bio however make me scratch my head.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

ALUNNI BRAVI: JAMES KEY’S PRIORITIES ARE TO IMPROVE CAR, SHAPE TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/08/11 ... epartment/
To hire Key is Andrea's decision, and I am hoping there is more to it than just desperation. Briliant brains (and only those are suited for the F1) do not get dismissed lightly. Key entered McLaren with fanfares, internet media were all ga-ga how British boy will equal Newey, yet the end of his McLaren tenure was with whimper. Based on Mclaren's performance, I am not convinced Key is the panacea for Alfa/Audi's technical challenges, but my opinion doesn't count, and Andrea will live with his. (Is Andreas softy?)
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

ZHOU: VERY KEEN ON STAYING WHERE I AM
Zhou Guanyu is intent on remaining in Formula 1 with Alfa Romeo for a third season and revealed he is close to finalizing a new deal with his team.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/09/12 ... here-i-am/

I am not surprised. There aren't too many options available right now. I don't mind at all Guanyu. From business point of view it makes sense for Audi to have Guanyu on the team. Problem is, what happens to development of German drivers unless they are slotted in? Like him or not, Mick should be on the team as well, and others obtaining necessary support in lower series, so one day they can be called for duty. It will be interesting if Andreas is on the same page with me. Right now he is keeping his cards close to his body.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Aty wrote: 7 months ago Like him or not, Mick should be on the team as well, and others obtaining necessary support in lower series, so one day they can be called for duty. It will be interesting if Andreas is on the same page with me. Right now he is keeping his cards close to his body.
I wonder if Alfa/Audi is interested in having Mick in the car. They know Zhou is not a financial disaster in human form. Why is Mick out of the HAAS? He had too many crashes.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

erwin greven wrote: 7 months ago
Aty wrote: 7 months ago Like him or not, Mick should be on the team as well, and others obtaining necessary support in lower series, so one day they can be called for duty. It will be interesting if Andreas is on the same page with me. Right now he is keeping his cards close to his body.
I wonder if Alfa/Audi is interested in having Mick in the car. They know Zhou is not a financial disaster in human form. Why is Mick out of the HAAS? He had too many crashes.
Both, Vettel and Verstappen alike in early days had their loads of crushes, and were assessed by foreign "experts" not suitable for the F1. We know how that ruckus ended. Vettel was declared definitely slow (by one Polish "driver-expert").

There is very little doubt in my mind, that combination of shoddy treatment Mick had received from Binotto who basically destroyed start of Mick's career, and subpar Haas vehicle had not helped newbie to start well-off. Haas car is better now, but Mick paid heavy price and is out in cold.

The truth is, I am not holding any strong conviction that Mick is the F1 material, but based on Wolff's assessment, Mick is ready to have one more go at it. You know, like DR (to be fair). I also think Germany "needs" their own team. Enough of splashing money on everyone else, and shortchanging their own people.

Zhou Guanyu and Mick Schumacher is a good team to have.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2023-09-21 09:59 (CEST)
It's late Thursday night in Japan...
https://www.sauber-group.com/motorsport ... -in-japan/
Alfa-team might be in no man's land with their season of tears and disappointments, but they are classy in taking on hard times. Polite, respectful, hopeful. The stands at Suzuka are full of fans. I don't know how many came to see Yuki, but it doesn't matter. They came, and it's all that counts.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Rumours are running rampant that Audi will renege on its F1 committment. Suggestions are made that Audi got cold shoulders after FiA approved Andretti.

Interesting take.

The truth is, I am not privy what Audi will, or will not do, but untill an official announcement is issued, my trust in Audi F1 remains intact. Audi issued denial statement. The article I've read immediately declared the statement as "not convincing". The same article continues that Audi will discuss it later this month.

Ever heard of updating the Board of Directors on progress of the project?
My question - meeing later this month? Why then anyone should make statements that decision was already made? Who made it?

Things do not however happen in the vacuum (and I could name no less than 3 or 4 reasons why situation today is economically not favorable for crazy spending; especially for overvalued producs).
The German manufacturer has already invested around $200m in buying a minority stake in the Swiss based F1 team and was set to increase this position for 2024 with a view to acquire full ownership for the new regulations due in 2026.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

It never made sense to me for Audi to enter F1. Porsche made far more sense, because they'll sell small volume cars with e-Fuels, but Audi are mass market and will go electric.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Porsche's evaluation and long term planning of racing operations is running on 10 y. cycle. They ended evaluation of conditions for now, and moved on. Assuming F1 is still alive and kicking, we can expect Porsche to reactivate their interest in some form y. 2030 - 2035.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

More evidence that Audi wants out. The new management (Döllner) is definately against entering F1. No mention of Andretti. Just does not like F1 as an investment.

However, strengthen's the rumor that it is now up to Porsche to come in and save it as a last hope.

https://f1i.autojournal.fr/infos/indisc ... r-porsche/
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

F1 cannot be considered as an investment. It is an obscenely expensive promotional campaign. Someone is pocketing those coins. (Not the teams.) Recent atempt to manipulate 2026 (planned) specifications/timeline is not building too much trust. I would love to see a German car on the track, but not at any cost. If Audi will pull out, I say good for them.
Regarding Porsche - divisional leadership closed the file on the F1-2026 saga. It would have to be a call from a big telephone number for them to re-open it. Mercedes have also bunch of shareholders who are not happy at all about MB is in the F1. That's life; we are all different.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Rumor: Audi Cancelled Its F1 Program Before It Even Started [Update: Audi Denies]
https://jalopnik.com/rumor-audi-cancell ... 1850938591

I do follow Audi quite often, and there is nothing in their site I can learn about it. I am not familiar with "Jalopnik", but a site I do trust (99%) is AMuS, and they are not prining anything of that kind. Maybe rumours aren't their thing.

The only believable information for me is, that western position vis a vis China is not helping. Someone blowing up infrastructure Germany had an investment in, energy consequences that followed, war here, war there, Covid, inflation, etc. One blow after another.

Cumulatively it all seems as legitimate reason for review, and change of corporate business strategy. This mess has not its origins in Germany, but adversely affects German life, and the country as whole. The promotion of Audi might need a new coat, and the F1 may, or may not be the answer.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Aty wrote: 5 months ago
Rumor: Audi Cancelled Its F1 Program Before It Even Started [Update: Audi Denies]
https://jalopnik.com/rumor-audi-cancell ... 1850938591

I do follow Audi quite often, and there is nothing in their site I can learn about it. I am not familiar with "Jalopnik", but a site I do trust (99%) is AMuS, and they are not prining anything of that kind. Maybe rumours aren't their thing.

The only believable information for me is, that western position vis a vis China is not helping. Someone blowing up infrastructure Germany had an investment in, energy consequences that followed, war here, war there, Covid, inflation, etc. One blow after another.

Cumulatively it all seems as legitimate reason for review, and change of corporate business strategy. This mess has not its origins in Germany, but adversely affects German life, and the country as whole. The promotion of Audi might need a new coat, and the F1 may, or may not be the answer.
Jalopnik was a website invented by a group of writers that left traditional printed car magazines in the US (Road&Track, Car&Driver, etc) because they felt digital media was the future and the magazine industry would die shortly. They are all respected journalists.

However, since they are based in the US, I'm sure their information may be 2nd hand compared to a news source direct from Germany speaking to the Audi staff. So while I trust them, they seem to be 1 step behind any stories originating out of Europe or Japan.

Still though, it's nice to get articles here in the US that are not subject to mistranslation on the internet (which can be sketchy at times).
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

The question I have whenever talking about Motorsport projects is what does LinkedIn activity show? Are people entering or exiting the project? If they were exiting, it wouldn't take much for a journalist to monitor that.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Audi stated they have all staff what's needed this year. Next year there are suppose to be about 100 - 150 personnel added.

In most teams - smaller budget imposed by FiA administration will result in layoffs.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

GP247 - Audi is quitting (again rumor)
Amid a rumour that Audi are about to abandon their Formula 1 project, word is if that does indeed happen Porsche may step into the fold again.

And it seems Herr. Döllner may just have other ideas on racing. Rumours have flown that Audi will renege on its F1 plans after all. Even if Ingolstadt’s propaganda machine was quick to try to pour cold water on it all. “The media coverage is a rumour and absolutely untrue,” a PR suit insisted this week. “Audi’s Formula 1 plan remains unchanged.”
Propaganda machine? It's called PR department in here.

Review of the project cost is apparently underway (per Spiegel): D/T 2023-10-26 17:27 (CEST)
REPORT: AUDI REVIEWING FORMULA 1 PROJECT
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/10/26 ... 1-project/

Review seems a legitimate and prudent financial decision. It doesn't follow, they are cancelling the project. That decision of that kind depends on result of the review. One doesn't need to be an economist to realize, that a lot has changed lately.

I would understand if they stand down from the project. Would I be disappointed? No, I would not be; how anyone can be angry over wise fiscal management. Now we wait.

Fiscally (another rumor) Audi's exit would cost VW ca Billion. It appears life is not so simple anymore.