Rate the 2022 Monaco GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2022 Monaco GP

No votes
No votes
7%
36%
14%
14%
21%
7%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 14

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Rate the 2022 Monaco GP

Post by PTRACER »

Hard one to rate. Only one official overtake the whole race. At one point the whole field were on a mixture of wets, inters and slicks. There was also the 1 hour pointless rain delay and the red flag for MSC's crash.

I dunno about this one. Probably a 7/10 for the interesting bits I mentioned above and a 2/10 for everything else. Not sure how that'll work out in my vote...
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

7/10. Passing was hard as usual but at least it had more suspense.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

7/10
1 point for tradition.
1 point for "my guy scored a point and finished this crazy race" and without coming home with his car in two pieces.
1 point for Leclerc slotted behind Max.
4 points for the race.
Last edited by Aty 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

7/10 seems a fair call.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I've been trying to get to grips with modern F1, accepting that it's more show than sport, but on this count it suffered horribly today - I spent more than three hours watching a mostly inactive track, that's simply not good enough. On the other hand, it was nice having the top four cars running nose-to-tail in the closing laps, but with fresh tyres nothing was likely to happen anyway. You can't have pit stops artificially shake up the order, and still expect them to race on track, and yes I know I'm a voice in the wilderness, but it's a fact. So, 4 points from a disgruntled me.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

5 from me. It was likely a 6, but I was annoyed with the procedural mess. Too many delays. Too many red flags.
Would have been better to start and red flag if it started to flood (which it did).
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Yes I fear my 7 was too generous and placed too soon after the race and influenced by the result . With hindsight I would have taken one or two points off for the pre race bullshit. Not good enough.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

good, tense. Monaco is a special challenge, and Sainz made a good effort on Perez near the end. Fun day. 6 in all, which I guess is higher than most Monaco GP's.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago I've been trying to get to grips with modern F1, accepting that it's more show than sport, but on this count it suffered horribly today - I spent more than three hours watching a mostly inactive track, that's simply not good enough. On the other hand, it was nice having the top four cars running nose-to-tail in the closing laps, but with fresh tyres nothing was likely to happen anyway. You can't have pit stops artificially shake up the order, and still expect them to race on track, and yes I know I'm a voice in the wilderness, but it's a fact. So, 4 points from a disgruntled me.
I feel the same way and gave it a 3.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I feel generous giving it 4.

The swap between the RBRs and Ferraris was interesting. That alone made it better than most Monaco GPs.

Otherwise nothing happened. Well, Lewis made a pass I think. And yes, that's Monaco, so expect little. But the least Charles could have done is dive bombed Max, and at worse taken them both out.

What took a giant dump on the race wasn't the rain, but the direction. Just shocking. 70 minutes to do anything is insane.

Same old issue of driving to the conditions. If it's too hard, go slower. It's a bloody street circuit for heavens sake. There's a crown in the road, so you won't aquaplane off.

One could say "But someone could crash!!!" Well, at least that would be one way to bring out a SC to make them drive at safe speeds. But otherwise look at what happened to Ricciardo in practice, and Schumacher in the race. It wasn't dumping down rain then, and they still had sizable accidents! Solution: don't allow motorsport, because as the sign at the entryway says: it's dangerous.

I always revert back to: Unless you literally can't drive in it (eg: the car is turned into a canoe), then you just drive to the conditions.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

I gave it a 4. That's 1 for the "race", 1 for Perez winning, 1 for Gasly passes and 1 for Whammy losing to Russell again.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Only one official overtake the whole race.
Really?? I could have sworn we had a few.. there was definitely a pass into swimming pool, and another into mirabeau I thought?

Edit, internet says there were 12
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... overtakes/
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Circuitmaster wrote: 1 year ago
PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Only one official overtake the whole race.
Really?? I could have sworn we had a few.. there was definitely a pass into swimming pool, and another into mirabeau I thought?

Edit, internet says there were 12
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... overtakes/
i note that in the article linked itsays the official broadcast missed 10 of the 12 overtakes, in other words only. caught 2 of 12 on camera. I noticed that the coverage was not up to par generally, the camera positions were ordinary, TV pictures. suddenly going from a dice to a random shot of littlre interest, and plenty of action was just missed. Even the Sky commentators made comment when the Director suddenly went from action to something boring or irrelevant.

Its time they did something to bring the Monaco coverage into the 2020's. Clearly the problem, being only apparent to such a degree at Monaco, is with the Liberty / F1 arrangement with Monaco. Monaco has always had the coverage done 'in-house' by TMC (Tele Monte Carlo) now a French production company and broadcaster..... its part of their deal that they do their own TV production.

Every other GP is produced by FOM / the F1 TV production thing that Bernie set up. Back in the day the BBC did their own production, others too, one being Monaco.

2012 it all changed with the only GP not thereon produced by F1 being Monaco. TMC provide the direction and production. The commentary team are in effect dealt their cards (ie the visuals, replays whatever they have to add comment on), by the Director. Obviously FOM for all the other races have their own production crew and director running the show. At Monaco for all we know the Director usually does Football matches or plain doesnt understand F1 and the fans wants. :sick:

I know Monaco is out of contract now and a new deal needs to be negotiated. I know there has been talk that Monaco might not even have an F1 future, heaven forbid. But one thing that must be part of any new deal needs to have no more of this TMC produces the TV broadcast. That now needs to come in line with the rest of the calendar and be produced by FOM and the in-house professionals.

This is probably not the place to discuss it. What started off as me posting a one line comment turned into a rant. But in a major way, the poor quality of the TV coverage reflects on for all of us voting on the quality of the race. If we saw all the missed action and missed overtakes and dices we might all be voting 8's or 9's.... 10's and 9's less 1 for the appalling delays and piss poor Race Direction. :wink: .

Glad I got that off my chest. @PTRACER if you think there is a need for a TVV coverage / production thread Ill leave it to you to create. If not, well I got my issues of my chest for others to comment or ignore. :tongue: :omg:

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I gave it an 8, apparently I enjoyed it more than the rest of you ;)

I thought it was a pretty good watch all in all. Sometimes having only highlights is a good thing and with the delay and the red flags etc. I didn't have to sit around and wait like those watching live had to.

A great win for Perez, when DC spoke to Max after the race he asked if he was happy for his team mate. In words, Max said of course he was but his expression said something else to me.

Horrific crash for young Mick Schumacher, I was so happy to see him out of the remains of that car. It could have been so much worse!

Edit: I almost forgot, at least Leclerc has now finished a race here, not that he'll have been happy about where he finished, but that is another story. At least he scored points too.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

7. Wasn't always great racing (although Gasly was fun to watch), but it was an interesting team challenge between the perfectly planned Red Bull team and the less than perfect Ferrari. This is a case where it should have been a Ferrari 1-2 (Leclerc over Sainz), but because of team decisions, and in the case of Sainz, personal decisions, we ended up with Perez winning and Sainz second. Good day of strategic racing.