GPL 1967 v3 Dev blog

Discussion and releases for the 1998 racing simulation by Sierra/Papyrus
Post Reply
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

GPL 1967 v3 Dev blog

#1

Post by PTRACER »

Dear all, I am happy to announce that development of 1967 version 3 will be proceeding as an independent project. Due to nothing more personal matter, the SRMZ mod team chose to withdraw their support of my efforts after they already handed me the tools to complete it. The development of this mod was fully authorised and supported by Chris at SRMZ who developed V2. To prevent misinformation spreading, I am happy to answer any questions you may have, though I would prefer it to be in the GPL thread and not here.

The mod will be expected to feature 11 race-by-race carsets and a whole new set of physics based on new data, both the real world and those from more modern sims. The mod itself will have its own EXE, will be offline only and has no connection with GPLRank. Nothing from this mod could possibly interfere with or conflict with existing or future releases. Besides that, it will feature a number of graphical and bug fixes which are present in V2, revised graphics, more accurate collision boxes and much more.

I am open to anyone joining and contributing to the project with everything from ideas to actual content.

Changelog: viewtopic.php?p=419842#p419842
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 50657
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#2

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Best of luck Paul with the project. Im the last person you would want helping as its all way above my head, but I look forward to following progress with interest.
I'll be the one shouting encouragement from the wings. :mrgreen: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#3

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Best of luck Paul with the project. Im the last person you would want helping as its all way above my head, but I look forward to following progress with interest.
I'll be the one shouting encouragement from the wings. :mrgreen: :wink:
Thanks Chris! Well, certainly if you have any photos you find online, particularly of cockpits and things, it would be be helpful!

My first major change was the following. It doesn't look much, but I made some quite big revisions to the nose, cockpit and engine cover of Bob Anderson's Brabham BT11. The engine cover had a few stray polygons and some clipping and overall it was far too low, given the size of the engine squeezed into the back of what was meant to be a 1.5 litre Grand Prix car. The original nose was also not at all Brabham like, so I manually copied the coordinates one by one from the 1965 car to create a more familiar shape.

Latest version is actually v1.03 but is the same as the picture below but with less clipping around the rollhoop:

Image
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#4

Post by PTRACER »

Next is the Lotus 49 cockpit. It has a new set of high resolution gauges and they all read accurately, at least around their peak/ideal values. The below is not technically the final version, I have lightened the leather? facing around the clocks since so it doesn't appear so dark.

Image

Obviously this preview image has no needles but they are present in the actual game.

As a reminder, here is the original:
Image
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#5

Post by PTRACER »

Following that, I have repaired the stray pixel in the Matra F2 cockpit:

Image

The external view of the cockpit shows a lot of warped textures and clipping. I'm half done fixing it, but it needs much more work. This is before I started:

Image
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#6

Post by PTRACER »

Below is a preview of the current state of the F2 physics. The video is scheduled to be released at 21:00 GMT tonight, so hold onto your horses.



Laptime is around an 8:22 for this car, top speed is around 165-168mph on the main straight, putting it on par roughly with the 1.5 litre GP cars, which had slightly less power but less drag overall. For reference the Lotus 49 from this mod will do about an 8:02, with exactly the same base grip.

I struggle to understand how Jacky Ickx put this car 3rd on the grid for the Formula 1 race.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 50657
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#7

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Best of luck Paul with the project. Im the last person you would want helping as its all way above my head, but I look forward to following progress with interest.
I'll be the one shouting encouragement from the wings. :mrgreen: :wink:
Thanks Chris! Well, certainly if you have any photos you find online, particularly of cockpits and things, it would be be helpful!

That sort of help I am happy to do, and detail / appearance things. People tell me I have an eye for detail so any help you need in that sort of field just ask.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#8

Post by PTRACER »

As of now, many of these are changes are already made, but I'm almost totally focused on getting the finer details of the tyre physics correct, particularly tyre heating before moving onto other things.
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
- 11 carsets, one for each championship Grand Prix, with a number of additions such as more F2 cars at the German GP and the ability to switch from the BT20 to the BT24 after Spa rather than assigning them to separate car slots
- Each car will receive completely revised physics parameters, with car dimensions, drag and top speed figures based on or extrapolated from published data
- New power curves for all cars, including torque, BHP and max RPM figures based on known or published data or data from more recent sims
- New tyre slip curves and tyre load sensitivities based on the behaviour in more modern sims
- Peak tyre temps to match those in iRacing, Assetto Corsa and rF2 (100C)
- Changes to the way tyre temperatures and pressures affect grip, particularly with greater fall off when overheating
- High speed lift will finally be introduced on the 67s. Lift figures are based on a combination of data collected from Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2
- Adjustments to reliability levels for each car and fixing broken code in the V2 EXE which prevented the cars from blowing up when overrevving
- Brake temperature modelling
- Realistic diff locking percentages (for example, the Lotus 49 will have 75% diff lock under power)
- All cars will receive adjustments to the cockpit gauges - needles will be updated for much greater accuracy, dials will have higher quality textures and therefore be more readable
- Fuel tanks sizes will be more accurate, at least where I can find the info, with fuel consumption rates adjusted to match
- Reduction in the number of car setup parameters, particularly the upper and lower limits and increments between each setting.
- Available gear ratios will be the same as those on the real Hewland and ZF boxes.
- Revised slipstream physics to match the Lotus 49 in Assetto Corsa
- Adjusted collision boxes for greater accuracy
- Revising car body shapes in places and fixing bugs on some car models
- Some new car sounds, if I can get permission to use them
- Advanced Trainer will be based on the Tasman 2.5L cars, while the Novice Trainer will have a Cosworth SCA 1L F3 engine
- New INI files for each of the 11 tracks so that the grid roughly replicates the real life one in terms of performance - andygpl will work on this

Current bottlenecks:
- Time

Need help with:
- Layout files
- Importing the F2 car models from the F2 mod
- Beta testing
- A new car model for Silvio Moser's Cooper T77. It seems Silvio Moser's Cooper T77 is practically the same as the regular one, with a new engine cover, higher trumpets and a 'cut off' nose
I realised over the last few days that a number of GPL'ers have signed up here to check on the status. It really is several months away from release, so I have created the following mailing list so I can remind you when it is out. All dev updates will be posted in this thread, so I will only send you a mail on release date and then the mailing list will be deactivated:

https://the-fastlane.co.uk/mailinglist/ ... cribe&id=1
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1541
Joined: 18 years ago

#9

Post by Michkov »

Glad to hear you are keeping at it PT. It came quite as a surprise when I saw the locked threads over at SRMZ. Not quite sure what happened there to cause that, but needless to say I dont really agree with the mods stance on keeping the modding tools close off. But that is a discussion for another thread.

I can't test at the moment since all I got is a gamepad, but I'm happy to help in any other way. I've been pondering how to improve the "brake fade" effect ever since I discovered the shortcuts taken in the 55 implementation. I have some thoughts on that once you get to it.
Else I think it would be good to give us a list of what you need.
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#10

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago Glad to hear you are keeping at it PT. It came quite as a surprise when I saw the locked threads over at SRMZ. Not quite sure what happened there to cause that, but needless to say I dont really agree with the mods stance on keeping the modding tools close off. But that is a discussion for another thread.

I can't test at the moment since all I got is a gamepad, but I'm happy to help in any other way. I've been pondering how to improve the "brake fade" effect ever since I discovered the shortcuts taken in the 55 implementation. I have some thoughts on that once you get to it.
Else I think it would be good to give us a list of what you need.
About beta testing, others may be driving with a gamepad too, so ensuring it is driveable for you is helpful. Otherwise beta testing can mean checking menus to ensure all the pictures are correct, checking car skins to ensure they all load properly and so on. But I haven't got that far yet.

What are your thoughts on brake fade?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1541
Joined: 18 years ago

#11

Post by Michkov »

In the 55 mod there is one global value for how hot the brakes are. As far as I can tell this is computed via car speed lost when brakes are applied. What that means is that you can lock all 4 tyres and slide to a stop and have hot brakes. Which doesn't make sense since a locked wheel doesn't generate brake heat.

I think you could do this by taking wheel speed instead of car speed as the parameter you derive your brake heating from and you'd get a much more realistic heating then the global model the 55s use. I had a basic logic loop worked out but I need to find that sheet of paper again. Put the basic gist is difference in rotation speed if the brakes are applied lead to heat added to the disk.

Not sure if this is possible to mod GPL that extensively, but I dont think it's much more complicated than what the wings and brakes already do. It's just that GPL needs to compute 4 instead 1 brake temps.
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#12

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago In the 55 mod there is one global value for how hot the brakes are. As far as I can tell this is computed via car speed lost when brakes are applied. What that means is that you can lock all 4 tyres and slide to a stop and have hot brakes. Which doesn't make sense since a locked wheel doesn't generate brake heat.

I think you could do this by taking wheel speed instead of car speed as the parameter you derive your brake heating from and you'd get a much more realistic heating then the global model the 55s use. I had a basic logic loop worked out but I need to find that sheet of paper again. Put the basic gist is difference in rotation speed if the brakes are applied lead to heat added to the disk.

Not sure if this is possible to mod GPL that extensively, but I dont think it's much more complicated than what the wings and brakes already do. It's just that GPL needs to compute 4 instead 1 brake temps.
I'm sure it would be possible, since there is a memory address for individual wheel speed and I already know where to find that, but as you say we would need separate memory addresses for each brake temp. I don't see this would be too difficult for someone who knows how to code though. I think in particular about Olaf, who released a patch which allows you to change the brake balance from front to back, and left to right...

By the way, do you understand how the code works Michkov? I've looked at it briefly but couldn't work out which patch was which...
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1541
Joined: 18 years ago

#13

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Michkov wrote: 2 years ago In the 55 mod there is one global value for how hot the brakes are. As far as I can tell this is computed via car speed lost when brakes are applied. What that means is that you can lock all 4 tyres and slide to a stop and have hot brakes. Which doesn't make sense since a locked wheel doesn't generate brake heat.

I think you could do this by taking wheel speed instead of car speed as the parameter you derive your brake heating from and you'd get a much more realistic heating then the global model the 55s use. I had a basic logic loop worked out but I need to find that sheet of paper again. Put the basic gist is difference in rotation speed if the brakes are applied lead to heat added to the disk.

Not sure if this is possible to mod GPL that extensively, but I dont think it's much more complicated than what the wings and brakes already do. It's just that GPL needs to compute 4 instead 1 brake temps.
I'm sure it would be possible, since there is a memory address for individual wheel speed and I already know where to find that, but as you say we would need separate memory addresses for each brake temp. I don't see this would be too difficult for someone who knows how to code though. I think in particular about Olaf, who released a patch which allows you to change the brake balance from front to back, and left to right...

By the way, do you understand how the code works Michkov? I've looked at it briefly but couldn't work out which patch was which...
I have no clue about the inner workings of GPL. I asked Lee to show me a couple of times but he always declined. I have intermediate programming knowledge, but that is in Python, JavaScript and the like not on a low level that GPL seems to require. I have enough physics knowledge on top of that, to be able to create a decent heating function. No idea how to get it into the exe though.

If I had to guess, I'd go looking for something linking break application to a new variable. Also car speed should be linked to it since cooling is speed dependent. What I have not tried yet is braking while stationary, that should not increase the temps, so there may be a link to the new temp variable so it only works when the car is in motion.
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#14

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Michkov wrote: 2 years ago In the 55 mod there is one global value for how hot the brakes are. As far as I can tell this is computed via car speed lost when brakes are applied. What that means is that you can lock all 4 tyres and slide to a stop and have hot brakes. Which doesn't make sense since a locked wheel doesn't generate brake heat.

I think you could do this by taking wheel speed instead of car speed as the parameter you derive your brake heating from and you'd get a much more realistic heating then the global model the 55s use. I had a basic logic loop worked out but I need to find that sheet of paper again. Put the basic gist is difference in rotation speed if the brakes are applied lead to heat added to the disk.

Not sure if this is possible to mod GPL that extensively, but I dont think it's much more complicated than what the wings and brakes already do. It's just that GPL needs to compute 4 instead 1 brake temps.
I'm sure it would be possible, since there is a memory address for individual wheel speed and I already know where to find that, but as you say we would need separate memory addresses for each brake temp. I don't see this would be too difficult for someone who knows how to code though. I think in particular about Olaf, who released a patch which allows you to change the brake balance from front to back, and left to right...

By the way, do you understand how the code works Michkov? I've looked at it briefly but couldn't work out which patch was which...
I have no clue about the inner workings of GPL. I asked Lee to show me a couple of times but he always declined. I have intermediate programming knowledge, but that is in Python, JavaScript and the like not on a low level that GPL seems to require. I have enough physics knowledge on top of that, to be able to create a decent heating function. No idea how to get it into the exe though.

If I had to guess, I'd go looking for something linking break application to a new variable. Also car speed should be linked to it since cooling is speed dependent. What I have not tried yet is braking while stationary, that should not increase the temps, so there may be a link to the new temp variable so it only works when the car is in motion.
I tried to jump into coding in assembly a number of times, it seems that even the "idiots guides" that are out there are already quite high level stuff. They assume you already have good knowledge about how memory stacks work and the function of EAX, ESP, EBX etc. I tried to get some help on a well-known coding site but for them it was like asking a Frenchman "What does 'bonjour' mean?" and all I got back was gobbledegook. So, the best I can do is modify the numbers of the equations, but not the equations themselves.

Regarding the '55 mod's brake fade patch, I gathered the code originated from brr's (Petteri) test mod b00.0 and he shared his knowledge with the mod team. In that thread, they said the code models heating of the internal disc and of the disc surface, plus cooling factors, which is the same as how the tyres work. So most of the basic work is done and we would just have to learn how to divide it into four parts...Again, Olaf is our best chance.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42218
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#15

Post by PTRACER »

Currently working on the physics for the Mexico set. The cars feel so slow with 20% less BHP, but it makes them somewhat easier to drive.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Post Reply