2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

WAU confirm Holdsworth and Luff as co-drivers for Bathurst 1000.

Walkinshaw Andretti United has signed Lee Holdsworth for its Bathurst 1000 campaign with Chaz Mostert. Holdsworth was dropped by Tickford when they went from a 4 car team to 3 for this season and with late call leaving nothing much on the table, leaving him out of the Supercars full time circus.

As mentioned elsewhere Holdsworth is also driving in the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series. for Alfa Romeo.

The team has also re-signed Warren Luff, who will partner Bryce Fullwood in the second Holden ZB Commodore.

Tickford unveil the Boost Mustang livery for James Courtney.

More a re-jig and no major change from last year.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

BREAKING NEWS: Whincup to retire, take over as Triple Eight boss

There has been talk of Whincup retiring from full time racing for the past year now, but it is just coming to light that Jamie Whincup, 7 time s Australian Touring Cup Champion, will step down from full time racing at the end of the year, and will take up the role of Managing Director/Team Principal. Roland Dane will step away from the day to day running of the team and take on the role of Team Chairman of the board..

It has long been anticipated that Whincup would take on a greater role within the Triple 8 Supercars outfit after acquiring a minority stake in 2018.N
Now the next chapter in Whincup’s career has been confirmed just weeks out from the start of the 2021 Repco Supercars Championship.

“I’ve always said that after I retire from full-time driving, I want to keep going racing and in 2018 I made the commitment for that to be with Triple Eight by becoming a shareholder,” said Whincup.

“I’m honoured that Roland trusts me to lead the family that he’s built here in Australia.

“I’ll certainly maximise every opportunity this year and beyond to learn from him and I’m grateful that he will still be dedicating a portion of his time in 2022 to ensuring the team and I have the best opportunity for success.

“I have to thank everyone who has supported me during my driving career – family, friends, fans and partners. I’ll be giving my all to making sure we deliver the best results possible in 2021.”

Almost all of Whincup’s success in the championship to date has come with Triple Eight Race Engineering.

Whincup joined the team in 2006 off the back of finishing second to Todd Kelly and Mark Skaife in the Bathurst 1000 a year earlier with the late Jason Richards at Tasman Motorsport.

All 122 wins, 89 pole positions, and seven championships in his Supercars career until now have come with Triple Eight.

After falling short of the title in 2007, Whincup won six of the following seven championships between 2008 and 2014, winning all but the 2010 title.

His most recent triumph came in 2017 when he edged out Scott McLaughlin to the championship in a thrilling climax on the streets of Newcastle.

Alongside his seven drivers’ championship wins, Whincup has four Bathurst 1000 wins and an additional three podiums in the Great Race.

The 37-year-old heads into his 18th full season of Supercars competition this year.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/03/wh ... ight-boss/

The next big issue is who will step up to take over the prime Supercars seat to replace Whincup and partner SVG?

The team of course have the balance of the season to find a replacement so no great rush on that one, but with Jamie having achieved so much since joining T888 back in 2006 then they will have big boots to fill. One thing for sure is that there will be no shortage of applicants.

Im sure there will be many rumours and discussions coming up in the next few months. Will they take on a junior driver or plump for an existing top liner? Im not too sure at this stage who in the Supercars field has long term contracts in place or who will be available at year end.

Watch this space......

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

That's kinda shocking given how McLaughlin has left V8s. Unless Whincup thinks he will return sooner than later? How old was Craig Lowndes when he retired from full-time driving? SVG has no excuses left anymore not to dominate the series from 2022 onwards.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting also is that Roland Dane has sold a large part of his shareholding, to entrepreneur Tony Quinn, the Racer, Sponsor, Circuit owner. and massive motorsport enthusiast has taken a majority share in the team and purchased a 40% stake. Whincup will increase his share in the business to 19%, with Jessica Dane (Roland's daughter) holding a 30% stake. Roland Dane will retain 11% of the business.

Roland is of course an enormously wealthy man himself, and is into racing his collection of cars, ocean going sailing boats and other pursuits which he wants to spend more time pursuing.

His thoughts on todays announcement
Dane meanwhile said that he felt Whincup – who has raced for Triple Eight since 2006 – was the ideal person to take over the reins as the team heads into its new era.

“Since Jamie expressed an interest some years ago in continuing his career in motorsport with Triple Eight after he retires from full-time driving, the plan has always been for him to take the reins,” he said. “He has proved himself to be an integral part of the Triple Eight family during his 15 years here and has absolutely nothing to prove on track.

“I have every confidence that he will approach his new role with exactly the same motivation, diligence and competitive spirit that he brings to the track at every round.

“COVID-19 has reminded me that I’m not getting any younger and I’m looking forward to having more time on my hands to enjoy different forms of motorsport in different capacities and spend more time with my elder daughter in the UK, once the pandemic permits.

“Tony is an excellent fit for Triple Eight – he shares our passion for racing and innovation. We were flattered that someone of Tony’s pedigree was interested in buying into our business and his approach has helped us to cement our business succession. He’ll certainly be an asset to the team and we’re delighted to welcome him on board.”
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2021/02 ... ship-role/

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

quite a career Whincup has had. One of those drivers you got bored of seeing winning. Respect.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I have never been a huge fan of his, but his results and performances speak for themselves. I guess that might put an end to Lowndes Bathurst runs with T888 if Jamie is going to continue to race there. Unless JW teams with SVG and CL pairs up with who ever takes Jamies place in the full time gig.

@Vassago you are right SVG has no excuses now not to have his own little run of domination.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just a bit more about Tony Quinn

...... for those overseas people that may not be fully aware of his astonishing self made rise to wealth ..... from a guy who used to struggle, living in a caravan 30 odd years ago, before he set up VIP Petfoods. (VIP Petfoods name came to our attention as a sponsor of SVG when he launched his Supercars career many years ago with Tekno Racing (now Team Sydney).

Much of his wealth has been diverted into motor racing associated businesses, (he owned and built up the Australian GT franchise) plus of course supported his and his sons motor racing hobbies.

Many of the brands he has become involved with have over the years appeared in motor racing sponsorships right through to this day.

Tony Quinns comments on joining the T888 shareholding.
“I’ve seen the category go through some fantastic times and also some very testing times,” said Quinn.

“Throughout, one team has consistently been where any passionate race team needs to be – winning.

“So Triple Eight was quite an easy choice. If I’m going to make a wise investment, make it in the best structured and managed team.

“As we know, there are management changes afoot; however, these have been carefully planned and the transition process is lengthy, allowing Jamie and Jessica appropriate time to adjust to their new roles.

“Both Roland and I are confident that the team will continue their winning ways, and I have absolute and unwavering trust.”

As part of the restructuring, both Paul Dumbrell and Tim Miles have sold their shareholdings to Quinn, but will share an alternate position on the Triple Eight board of directors.

A self-made millionaire, Quinn’s fortunes were made in the pet food industry, through VIP Petfoods, which he founded in the mid-1990s.

He purchased flagging confectionery company Darrell Lea in 2012 for a reported $25 million.

In 2015 he sold VIP Petfoods for a reported $410 million, and Darrell Lea in 2018 for $200 million.

Motorsport has been a fixture throughout much of his time in business, using it most latterly to market his Local Legends brand of beef jerky with Team Sydney.

Triple Eight has pointed out that those sponsorship arrangements remain separate to his shareholding with the organisation, and there are no plans for his other companies to have involvement with the squad.

Quinn also owns two racing circuits, Hampton Downs and Highlands Motorsport Park, the former of which was poised to host the New Zealand round of the Supercars Championship last year.(EB note also hosted this years recent New Zealand GP)

The latter is ostensibly a club circuit designed for members, with experiences aimed at tourists.

It has, however, hosted a number of larger scale events including rounds of the Castrol Toyota Racing Series and Australian GT (to which Quinn owned the commercial rights from 2011 to 2018).

Despite holding the single largest stake in Triple Eight, Quinn is not expected to be especially hands on.

“There’s an old saying, ‘too many cooks spoil a good soup’,” he said.

“The team will do a great job without my heavy involvement.

“In fact, one of the attractions to me was that I wouldn’t be required on a constant basis.

“Whenever my guidance is sought though, I’ll be available.”

Roland Dane added: “Tony is an excellent fit for Triple Eight – he shares our passion for racing and innovation.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/03/mi ... ple-eight/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Feeney to use the iconic #888 in Super 2.

Just an observation at this stage, but something that could have a hidden message in the direction a replacement for Jamie Whincup could head. Clearly as has been said the seat is one of the prime opportunities for anyone, and an opportunity that comes up rarely.... Just 3 full time drivers have been appointed at T888 ever since it formed, those being Lowndes Whincup and SVG. Will they go for an up and coming talent or will they choose someone established. Even will they look overseas as an option, as they have done before with co-drivers.

Anyhow the potential hidden message is that the hallowed #888 famously used by Lowndes throughout his T888 career, and benched as a number when he retired from his full time career, has now been confirmed (#888 not Lowndes!) as coming out of retirement, though not in the main game.

The #888 will resurface this year as the number for Broc Feeney's T888 Red Bull and Boost Mobile backed car in Super 2. Feeney is of course seen as a potential for the WHincup seat and is highly regarded as a future superstar. As a number it has never been used in feeder series only the main game.

Is it coincidence or a good indication that Feeney is the anointed one to take over from Whincup, and indeed inherit the iconic #888.

Time will tell of course. Hopefully it does not add uneeded pressure on the teenager. His performance in Super 2 will hold the key to his future.

For info Feeney started karting in 2013 at the age of eleven. He won numerous state and national championships in his junior years. In 2018, he moved to open wheelers and competed in the Toyota 86 Racing Series Australia. In his debut year, Feeney went on to score two race wins and three podium finishes and was the youngest race winner at the age of fifteen.

He won the Super 3 title in 2019 with Paul Morris, and stepped up to Super 2 with Tickford last year finishing 7th.... He also co-drove at the Bathurst 1000 in the Tickford run Courtney Boost Mobile car. He also won his class in a MARC car at the Bathurst 12 hour. Then Roland Dane approached him for a switch to T888 for this year. Dane is no mug and clearly sees something in the kid. Is he seen as the next Lowndes / Whincup? Of course T888 have just announced an unchanged Bathurst 1000 lineup for this year so he wont get a drive with T888 this year, but maybe he will in a T888 customer car somewhere....

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Some good news today. The series has expanded its Youtube presence significantly, with live streaming of all sessions and support category races now being offered for people outside Aus/NZ for $6 a month, and apparently every single race from the 1997-2014 period is going to be uploaded there by the end of the year.

https://www.supercars.com/news/champion ... sie-first/

They have already uploaded about 200 races today, mostly from 1997, 2007 and the 2011-14 period.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Thats good news..... for Europe AU$6 = about 3.75 Euros or just over 3 quid.

Round 1 is the Bathurst 500 (26th-28th Feb) 2 x 250klms sprint races, both races with qualy and top 10 shootouts.
Supports are Touring Car Masters (3 races), Aussie Racing Cars (the miniature supercars, 4 races) Super2, Toyota 86 series both 3 races.

Full schedule https://www.supercars.com/2021-repco-mt ... d-results/

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

:thumbsup:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Thats good news..... for Europe AU$6 = about 3.75 Euros or just over 3 quid.

Round 1 is the Bathurst 500 (26th-28th Feb) 2 x 250klms sprint races, both races with qualy and top 10 shootouts.
Supports are Touring Car Masters (3 races), Aussie Racing Cars (the miniature supercars, 4 races) Super2, Toyota 86 series both 3 races.

Full schedule https://www.supercars.com/2021-repco-mt ... d-results/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Winton Supercars test day postponed due to Covid lockdown

The S5000 TCR event at Phillip Island next weekend has, as posted elsewhere, also been postponed.
It will no doubt also cause a quick relocation of drivers who drive for Melbourne based teams but live in Queensland to make urgent plans.
“Due to the recently announced five day, state-wide lockdown in Victoria, Supercars has rescheduled the planned test day in Winton to Friday, 19 February 2021,” read a statement from Supercars.

“Further information will be provided once arrangements have been finalised.”

While the Victorian lockdown is currently slated to end on Wednesday night (23:59 local time/AEDT), Queensland will now shut its border to Greater Melbourne from tomorrow morning at 01:00 (02:00 AEDT), for two weeks.

The move potentially affects the following Queensland-based drivers who compete for Victorian teams: Chaz Mostert (Walkinshaw Andretti United), Tim Slade (Blanchard Racing Team), James Courtney (Tickford Racing), and Will Brown (Erebus Motorsport).

However, depending on how the Queensland Government allows travel from Melbourne Airport, the aforementioned drivers may be able to return to their places of residence without restriction, similar to arrangements in place before last year’s Winton event (which was ultimately moved to Sydney anyway).
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/12/su ... nton-test/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Goddard quickest in Queensland test

Zane Goddard was quickest in pre-season Supercars testing at Queensland Raceway, but it was Red Bull Ampol Racing that clocked the most laps.

Goddard set a 1:09.0257s early on in proceedings when conditions were coolest at the Ipswich circuit.

Anton De Pasquale was second fastest for the Shell V-Power Racing Team on a 1:09.0318s, just 0.0061s adrift of Goddard’s benchmark.

Goddard’s Matt Stone Racing team-mate Jake Kostecki was third fastest on a 1:09.0404s, a mere 0.0147s away from top spot.

The Triple Eight Race Engineering entries lay fourth and fifth, with Jamie Whincup and Shane van Gisbergen sharing their cars with their respective co-drivers Craig Lowndes and Garth Tander.

The #88 and #97 entries completed a combined 297 laps, the van Gisbergen/Tander car cutting the most laps of all with 166.

Dick Johnson Racing returnee Will Davison was sixth, completing 90 laps with a best lap of 1:09.4946s.

Team Sydney duo Garry Jacobson and Fabian Coulthard rounded out the eight entries, team owner Jonathon Webb also cutting laps in the #19 entry.

For Matt Stone Racing, it was the second test of three for the team having had its first rookie day on Wednesday and another rookie day coming next Tuesday.

Supercars pre-season test, Queensland Raceway:

Pos Driver Laps Time Diff
1 Zane Goddard 78 1:09.0257
2 Anton De Pasquale 95 1:09.0318 +0.0061
3 Jake Kostecki 57 1:09.0404 +0.0147
4 Jamie Whincup/Craig Lowndes 131 1:09.1803 +0.1546
5 Shane van Gisbergen/Garth Tander 166 1:09.3734 +0.3477
6 Will Davison 90 1:09.4946 +0.4689
7 Garry Jacobson 90 1:09.7908 +0.7651
8 Fabian Coulthard/Jonathon Webb 66 1:09.8308 +0.8051

Southern-based Supercars teams were set to run at Winton Motor Raceway next Tuesday but have had their test pushed back due to Victorian lockdowns. Now to be next Friday 19th Feb.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/02/12/go ... ple-eight/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Brown fastest for Erebus in Winton Supercar test day

It was a hot day at Winton oday, well into the 30s, so no surprise the fastest times came in the morning when it was cooler. A bit of a surprise to see the troubled Erebus team, with many new staff, no naming right sponsor (having lost Penrite to Kelly Racing over the off season) and two full time rookies driving, to come out quickest. Will Brown took the fastest time with teamate Kostecki finishing 5th. Mostert(WAU) Reynold (in his new Kelly Penrite Mustang) and Scott Pye filling the gaps in the top 5. Brown ended up half a second quicker than anyone and was the only driver into the 19's.

Cameron Waters and James Moffat (enduro co driver) collectively amassed more laps for the #6 Tickford Racing Mustang than any other car, with a total of 135, and the former going as quick as a 1:20.1946s.

Bryce Fullwood (#2 WAU ZB Commodore) was seventh on a 1:20.2753s, from Nick Percat (#8 Brad Jones Racing ZB Commodore) and James Courtney.

Good to see Erebus competitive but Im sure this was a bit of a PR special, with new tyres low fuel, and everything trimmed for the max.... something to give them some ammunition to gain some backing.

All set for round 1 of the championship at Bathurst for the Sprint round next weekend. Hopefully it wont be compromised by any sudden Covid upsets, but all seems good at this stage.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Erebus launch WD40 livery for Will Brown

Erebus Motorsport has revealed Will Brown’s livery for his Repco Supercars Championship debut at Mount Panorama.

The team has confirmed a rolling sponsorship programme for the #9 entry, with WD-40 coming onboard for the opening round of the 2021 season. It seems that “WD-40 have come onboard for the entire season, but this round it takes top billing."

Clearly not the big bucks naming rights sponsor they had hoped for, but better than a blank car.

The #99 Erebus car of Kostecki has a different sponsorship, sporting backing from Boost Mobile.... the Kostecki brothers ran at Bathurst in 2019 in their privately entered car running Boost sponsorship so I guess Brodie has brought that money with him.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Feb 26 - 28 Mount Panorama 500 Bathurst,

The V8 Supercar season starts up this weekend (it is the 62nd year of the ATCC) with the teams visiting the scene of the final race of 2020.... the iconic Mt Panorama Bathurst circuit. Of course then was for the 1000klm annual classic, but for the first time in many years they are going to be visiting the track twice this year.

It is the 29th time that the championship has held an event at the Bathurst circuit, but the first time that the venue has held the opening round of the season. It also marks the first single-driver championship race held at Mount Panorama since 1996.

It has been 50 years since any circuit hosted the last round of one ATCC/Supercars Championship season then the first of the following season. The last time this happened was when Symmons Plains in Tasmania hosted the 1970 decider and 1971 opener.

This weekend sees the Sprint series visiting Mount Panorama for the Repso Mount Panorama 500. The format will be 2 x 250 klm (40lap) races, one each on Saturday and Sunday, with qualifying in the morning on each day for each race. There will also be a top 15 shootout to set pole and the top 15 for each race. At least we will this year see someone different taking pole positions, with habitual polesetter Scotty Mac having left V8s to pursue an Indycar career in the US.

This year also marks the final season for Jamie Whincup, so he will be keen to make his mark before hanging up his helmet to take on the role of T888 Team Principal next year. As far as Bathurst is concerned Jamie has had plenty of success over the years, but surprisingly has not finished on the podium since finishing 2nd in 2013. The full-time retirement of Rick Kelly leaves Whincup as the most experienced driver on the Repco Supercars Championship grid in 2021 with 240 round starts to his name.

At the other end of the scale the Erebus (full time) rookies have just 11 (enduro co-driver) starts between them.

Seven of the drivers in the 2021 field have scored race victories at Mount Panorama, all of them in the Repco Bathurst 1000. Whincup heads the list with four, followed by Will Davison on two, with Nick Percat, Mark Winterbottom, Chaz Mostert, David Reynolds and last year's Bathurst 1000 winner Shane van Gisbergen on one apiece.

Scott Pye will start his 250th championship race in Race 1, In team terms this weekend marks Tickford Racing's 250th championship round start. Originally known as Ford Performance Racing, the team made its Supercars Championship debut in Adelaide in 2003.

V8 Supercars weekend Schedule. (Local times... +10 hours for Europe, 11 for UK)

Friday
PRACTICE 1 FRI 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
PRACTICE 2 FRI 4:05 PM - 5:05 PM

Saturday
ARMOR ALL QUALIFYING - RACE 1 SAT 9:05 AM - 9:25 AM
ARMOR ALL TOP TEN SHOOTOUT - RACE 1 SAT 12:10 PM - 12:50 PM
RACE 1 SAT 3:00 PM - 4:50 PM

Sunday
ARMOR ALL QUALIFYING - RACE 2 SUN 10:05 AM - 10:25 AM
ARMOR ALL TOP TEN SHOOTOUT - RACE 2 SUN 12:10 PM - 12:50 PM
RACE 2 SUN 3:00 PM - 4:50 PM

Support Categories

Super 2
Super 3
Touring Car Masters
Aussie Racing Cars
Toyota 86

Full schedule: https://www.supercars.com/2021-repco-mt ... d-results/