F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Las Vegas Circuit Update:
What’s the Las Vegas F1 Track Layout look like? I walk the track and give you a first look at the new paddock, F1's biggest pit building and of course, Las Vegas’ pit lane. Construction of the circuit is on schedule for the inaugural Las Vegas Formula 1 GP. If you're going to the 2023 Las Vegas GP or you’re a Formula One fan wanting to know more about the Vegas F1 GP layout, you won't want to miss my Las Vegas F1 Update. Curious to know more? Keep watching to get an even more detailed look into the Vegas F1 track planning, preparations and construction. I’ll be your guide through the city as we walk the Vegas track layout, exposing the details of each turn, the many and varied track-side hospitality venues and hotels, the various Vegas fan zones and I’ll even give you some tips for ideal viewing spots from which to watch the inaugural Las Vegas F1 grand prix.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

It's not a paddock. You can't call if a paddock.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Tost remembers...

https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/11/24 ... nz-lawson/

Franz next to Peter Sauber is one of very few men in the paddock I hold genuinely in respect. I wish him well in his retirement.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Russell shares his thoughts about next year racing calendar and his condition this year.
George Russell claimed it would not be sustainable to drag around 4,000 Formula 1 staff around the world for 24 races, as Liberty Media continue to milk their prized F1 cow.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/12/01 ... -a-season/

People were getting sick already this season, and it's not going to get better next year.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Max Verstappen and Bradley Scanes, the Formula 1 World Champion’s performance coach since 2020, have parted ways...

De Telegraaf reports that Scanes wants to spend less time travelling and more time with his family, in the wake of a mammoth 22-round 2023 Formula 1 season. Next year there are even more Grand Prix weekends on the schedule.
GP247

To be frank, unless there is reduction of races people have to travel to, I do expect more departures from teams in the future. It's not just matter of health, but young guys have young families, and they will want to spend time to see kids growing up. It will be interesting to see how teams will approach this issue.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Aty wrote: 4 months ago
Max Verstappen and Bradley Scanes, the Formula 1 World Champion’s performance coach since 2020, have parted ways...

De Telegraaf reports that Scanes wants to spend less time travelling and more time with his family, in the wake of a mammoth 22-round 2023 Formula 1 season. Next year there are even more Grand Prix weekends on the schedule.
GP247

To be frank, unless there is reduction of races people have to travel to, I do expect more departures from teams in the future. It's not just matter of health, but young guys have young families, and they will want to spend time to see kids growing up. It will be interesting to see how teams will approach this issue.
Poacher Max...

This (departure of Bradley Scanes) meant there was a vacancy in the inner circle alongside Max..... so Max poached a talent from 'a rival team.' Carlos Sainz’s performance coach Rupert Manwaring will now make the switch to Max / Red Bull, leaving Carlos Sainz now needing to find a new personal trainer for his set-up.

Scanes is not the only Personal Trainer to want out of F1...... Yuki Tsunoda’s performance coach Michael Italiano, who formerly worked with Danny Ric has had enough of F1 and is set to instead go and work with the Royals Sports Group, heading up the sports science division of the company that owns three cricket franchises in India, Barbados and South Africa.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago
Aty wrote: 4 months ago

GP247

Poacher Max...

This (departure of Bradley Scanes) meant there was a vacancy in the inner circle alongside Max..... so Max poached a talent from 'a rival team.' Carlos Sainz’s performance coach Rupert Manwaring will now make the switch to Max / Red Bull, leaving Carlos Sainz now needing to find a new personal trainer for his set-up.

Scanes is not the only Personal Trainer to want out of F1...... Yuki Tsunoda’s performance coach Michael Italiano, who formerly worked with Danny Ric has had enough of F1 and is set to instead go and work with the Royals Sports Group, heading up the sports science division of the company that owns three cricket franchises in India, Barbados and South Africa.
It really hasn't been a great year for Carlos Sainz (apart from that win in Singapore) has it? Now this.

We keep on saying there are too many races and yet they keep on adding more. It will soon be to the point where there is a race weekend every week of the year!
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Have we done the Toto getting secret information from his mole in the FIA yet? The one who revealed the tech changes ahead of Canada, and was let go from their role not long after?
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I cant remeber what thread this (Alfa brand continuing in F1) was discussed in, and cant find it in the Alfa Audi thread. We were talking about the future of Alfa Romeo as a brand name in F1. @Double Fart reminded us of the Haas branding exercise suggested earlier in the year, and more recently I had also read that was to go ahead.....

Well Alfa to Haas as an engine brand partner (Ferrari engines branded Alfa Romeo) seemed like it was progressing.Until today.
Today Alfa have said no thy will not be in F1 at all for the forseeable future..... To be honest anyone getting on board with Haas is not a partnership destined for success. Unkind but true. An article in Autosport today relays the latest news from Alfa management on its continuance in Motorsport and it seems F1 is not part of it.

Alfa Romeo focused on WEC switch after ruling out staying in F1

Alfa Romeo says its focus is on a move to the World Endurance Championship, after ruling out having any more involvement in Formula 1 for now.

Alfa's title sponsorship deal with the Sauber team came to an end at last weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, following a successful six years together.

And while Alfa Romeo was linked with a possible tie-up with Haas instead, and did speak to Haas, negotiations never got very far.

Now, Alfa Romeo CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato has explained that, with his company determined to remain in motorsport, a move to WEC is now the most likely route.

Asked about the Haas situation and why things did not progress, Imparato said: “We weren't interested in aiming to do a copy/paste operation in the style of the one done with Sauber.

“It would have led us to become one of those who puts stickers on bodywork. It would no longer have been new and we wouldn't have been part of a story.

“We started looking at something else, quickly reaching a conclusion. Alfa Romeo has nothing to do with the world of rallying, the Stellantis group already has two brands involved in Formula E, and so the focus has shifted to the WEC, a world in which Alfa Romeo has lived in the past wonderful experiences."

Imparato has explained that no final decision has been made about how Alfa Romeo would make its step into WEC though, as it was currently evaluating the most cost-efficient way of doing it.

Clearly Alfa want to be more than a stickers on a car paying someone elses bills and want something of their own. F1 is not viable for an auto manufacturer the size of Alfa without some Group support and we all know how difficult, costly and flawed the F1 process is. WEC as we have seen from the explosion of manufacturer interest and participation seems all together easier and whilst not of the same profile as F1 is on an extreme upwards trajectory as the new Hypercar /LMDh categories take off in both the US and Word wide.

I look forward to seeing the Alfa Brand return to top level Sports Car racing. Its where they should be, despite their early 1950's F1domination.

The Tip 33 series of the early 1970's were beautiful to look at and listen to. Eargasm stuff. :haha:

Dont overlook that with Stelantis (who now own Alfa) also own Peugeot and a joint operation or co-operation could be valid and of mutual interest. Oh I forgot they do own Maserati now as well! Own is probably the wrong word. Fiat Chrysler have moved them all under their Stellantis Operating Group. (Alfa and Maserati havent changed hands and Stellantis bought Peugeot a few years ago.)

@erwin greven.Perhaps this becomes now more of a Sports Car thread topic, but Im I am sure we will soon see the Alfa Brand in someway back in the top class of WEC.
From the Alfa boss more on their Sportscar thoughts
“The WEC world is experiencing a moment of great interest, and when there is a lot of euphoria it becomes difficult to understand what level of investment is necessary to aim for the highest goals,” he said.

“We saw in 2015 [in LMP1] that uncontrolled cost escalation ultimately rebounds, so we took some time to understand how this will all play out.

“I believe it is correct to have a clear picture and know precisely what you are facing before launching into a project."

One possibility could be to tie-up with Peugeot, which is part of the same Stellantis group.

“Obviously it's one of the scenarios we evaluated,” added Imparato

“There are already houses within the Stellantis group whose sports programmes are in close contact, for example DS and Maserati in Formula E.

“When we return to the track we will do so with the support of Stellantis' motorsport projects, and as Peugeot is already present in the WEC obviously co-operation is more than possible. Then perhaps the two projects may have parallel paths in other aspects, but in the end we are in the same family.

“However, I would like to clarify that at the moment we are not yet able to confirm anything. We will do so when we have completed the planning and evaluation of the investment".
Obviously their (Alfa) demise as an F1 identity has been driven by Audi taking over Sauber and the very badge engineering method Alfa ran latterly in F1, but they have many more options to have a more real involvement in Motor Sports with Sports cars. I would rather the Alfa brand be in Sportscars than out of F1 and no motorsport at all. Motorsport fits with thir heritage :thumbsup:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Martin Brundle responded to those claiming the concluded Formula 1 season was boring claiming he has never witnessed such close racing as what he’s seen in 2023.

“He emerged victorious through rain and shine, safety cars and red flags, along with general chaos and a few skirmishes. And the team ably supported his talent with predominantly bullet-proof reliability and great strategies and pit stops.

“I’m very pleased I witnessed it,” the former F1 driver turned respected pundit maintained.

And while many expressed dismay with how things turned out this season in F1, the outcome of every race weekend known before hand, Brundle insisted the situation was totally the opposite, insisting there has been close racing all over the field.

He said: “I meet fans and read the feisty comments people like to amplify on X, saying what a boring season it was, presumably because one combination dominated.

“From my perspective I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed such a level of close racing, overtakes, and jeopardy through the entire field, which further closed as the season progressed.

“We saw it many times in qualifying if the established front runners and big guns weren’t fulfilling their potential and delivering the lap times, pretty much any driver on the grid could out-qualify and even out-race them in their midfield cars. We didn’t have a tail-end this year,” the Briton explained.

As a reminder, Verstappen sealed his third F1 Drivers’ Crown after the Sprint Race of the Qatar Grand Prix weekend. He scored a whopping 575 points, 290 more that second-placed and teammate Sergio Perez.
GP247
So, we have no reason to complain, or do we?

Regarding Perez -
MARKO: PEREZ UNLUCKY TO HAVE TALENT OF THE CENTURY AS TEAMMATE
Hard to argue that one.

Helmut confirmed that his future with the team will be discussed shortly. He is 80, racing is his life, but attendance of all 24 races could be proven difficult to bear. On the other hand, as one actor said in a Quentin Tarantino's film, "biggest killer of old people is retirement". In that case, maybe Helmut should consider to stay.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Aty wrote: 4 months ago So, we have no reason to complain, or do we?
Qualification lap times were not that close in years. Who expected "big guns" exit qualification after Q1? Hamilton for instance. Alonso was not always in Q3, same with Leclerc, Sainz, Norris, Piastri.

Max winning the race, yes, that was predictable, but after him the races were pretty good. And i will be honest, that i don't need another season with Max dominating like this, either. But at the other side, it is up to the other 19 drivers to get their shit together. Same with the team strategists and designers.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Max is setting benchamark for others to follow. I cannot see myself rejecting perfection of that kind just for sake of change. I had to tolerate for many years supersonic Mercedes due to terrible regulatory system. Maybe now I can put up eight years with supersonic Max. It is a fair (and healing) fight.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

My biggest complaint with the 2014-2016 era was that the Mercs were quite often separated by as much as 0.4s, and still qualified 1-2. There was no punishment for a poor lap.

Now, you make a mistake and you pay for it, regardless of the driver and car. Difference is that Max isn't doing the poor laps than Nico and Lewis often did
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 4 months ago My biggest complaint with the 2014-2016 era was that the Mercs were quite often separated by as much as 0.4s, and still qualified 1-2. There was no punishment for a poor lap.

Now, you make a mistake and you pay for it, regardless of the driver and car. Difference is that Max isn't doing the poor laps than Nico and Lewis often did
To highlight that 2014-2016 and there was only 1 non Mercedes pole lap per season. 2023 there were 8 none RB pole laps. :wink:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago
DoubleFart wrote: 4 months ago My biggest complaint with the 2014-2016 era was that the Mercs were quite often separated by as much as 0.4s, and still qualified 1-2. There was no punishment for a poor lap.

To highlight that 2014-2016 and there was only 1 non Mercedes pole lap per season. 2023 there were 8 none RB pole laps. :wink:
Ah, but CultLH Lewis fans will tell you that's because Max is crap, and is rubbish not to have taken pole in every race with that rocketship.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hehehe but 2014 Nico got 11, Lewis only 8 and Massa got 1 pole lap