F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Post Reply
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#1426

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Fight is on:
The engines are made to last around 6,000 kilometres, but by 2024 - when only three engines are used - they should run 7,500 kilometres. The risk of an engine popping and losing precious World Championship points is reportedly considered too great. Therefore, Ferrari's starting point is as good as certain: deploying four engines.
Mercedes and Honda alledgedly want to vote against expansion, and want to stay with 3 PU only.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/255874/f ... -2024.html
User avatar
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Posts: 2805
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: Gill
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

#1427

Post by Star »

@Michael Ferner I recall we were talking about the driver who jumped over a wall in Canada and ended up in the water. We weren't sure who it was the went in, well I was reading something else entirely and apparently it was Pedro de la Rosa. So there you go, now we know. Sorry, I couldn't go scrolling to find the original post, but at least now we know. :cool:

Edit: They actually mention the incident here and talk to De La Rosa about it: Clip number 8.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... GaF5Z.html
Last edited by Star 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 5269
Joined: 9 years ago
Real Name: YouKnowWho
Favourite Motorsport: F1

#1428

Post by DoubleFart »

Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
User avatar
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1783
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

#1429

Post by Ruslan »

Final tally of the "Top Ten of 2023" from the F1 news feed at www.grandprix.com:

1. Max Verstappen
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Charles Leclerc
5. Lando Norris
6. Carlos Sainz
7. George Russell
8. Alex Albon
9. Oscar Piastri
10 Yuki Tsunoda

Now, I don't have any issues with the first seven drivers listed or the even the order they were listed. On the other hand, I do question the last three, especially as Gasly, Ocon and Hulkenberg should be considered.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#1430

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Final tally of the "Top Ten of 2023" from the F1 news feed at www.grandprix.com:

1. Max Verstappen
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Charles Leclerc
5. Lando Norris
6. Carlos Sainz
7. George Russell
8. Alex Albon
9. Oscar Piastri
10 Yuki Tsunoda

Now, I don't have any issues with the first seven drivers listed or the even the order they were listed. On the other hand, I do question the last three, especially as Gasly, Ocon and Hulkenberg should be considered.
I am not convinced with #44 is that high. P5 or even 6 should be more appropriate. Sometimes I got feeling that he drives only because he is contracted to do so. Hired helping hand. Missing is desire and will to tame the machine we see from younger, hungry racers.
User avatar
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1783
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

#1431

Post by Ruslan »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Final tally of the "Top Ten of 2023" from the F1 news feed at www.grandprix.com:

1. Max Verstappen
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Charles Leclerc
5. Lando Norris
6. Carlos Sainz
7. George Russell
8. Alex Albon
9. Oscar Piastri
10 Yuki Tsunoda

Now, I don't have any issues with the first seven drivers listed or the even the order they were listed. On the other hand, I do question the last three, especially as Gasly, Ocon and Hulkenberg should be considered.
I am not convinced with #44 is that high. P5 or even 6 should be more appropriate. Sometimes I got feeling that he drives only because he is contracted to do so. Hired helping hand. Missing is desire and will to tame the machine we see from younger, hungry racers.
He pretty much convincingly dominated George Russell this season, and Russell is one of the best of the new generation of drivers (1st F4, 3rd F3, 1st GP3, 1st F2).
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#1432

Post by Aty »

Brown calls for swift changes to Red Bull/AlphaTauri alliance

Zak Brown has previously been vocal about Red Bull and AlphaTauri's close Formula 1 alliance, and the McLaren CEO has now called for rapid changes to be made.
https://racingnews365.com/brown-calls-f ... i-alliance

This is for me one of rare moments when I do agree with Brown. One owner with two teams never sat well with me. I see it as unfair advantage to rivals. I am glad the team exists. One or two of my favorite drivers came from there after all, well prepared for WDC drive, but in broader perspective the ownership is non-standard, and team should stand on its own (IMO anyway). RB ownership should be ordered to sell before 2026 season, if they want to avoid bidding process and/or see FiA as a temporary administrator with TP role until a buyer is found at minimum cost.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#1433

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago
Aty wrote: 3 months ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Final tally of the "Top Ten of 2023" from the F1 news feed at www.grandprix.com:

1. Max Verstappen
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton...
I am not convinced with #44 is that high. P5 or even 6 should be more appropriate. Sometimes I got feeling that he drives only because he is contracted to do so. Hired helping hand. Missing is desire and will to tame the machine we see from younger, hungry racers.
He pretty much convincingly dominated George Russell this season, and Russell is one of the best of the new generation of drivers (1st F4, 3rd F3, 1st GP3, 1st F2).
Here is someone else writing (today) on the same theme. We all getting older, and slower. No surprises on that account.
Eddie Jordan no longer has confidence in Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso. According to the Irishman, the world champions of yesteryear no longer have enough in house to beat Max Verstappen. Jordan prefers to put his money on young talents.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/256567/e ... lenge.html

Jordan is a man of many opinions, but from time to time he manages to nail it.
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 49239
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#1434

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago
Aty wrote: 3 months ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Final tally of the "Top Ten of 2023" from the F1 news feed at www.grandprix.com:

1. Max Verstappen
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton...
I am not convinced with #44 is that high. P5 or even 6 should be more appropriate. Sometimes I got feeling that he drives only because he is contracted to do so. Hired helping hand. Missing is desire and will to tame the machine we see from younger, hungry racers.
He pretty much convincingly dominated George Russell this season, and Russell is one of the best of the new generation of drivers (1st F4, 3rd F3, 1st GP3, 1st F2).
Here is someone else writing (today) on the same theme. We all getting older, and slower. No surprises on that account.
Eddie Jordan no longer has confidence in Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso. According to the Irishman, the world champions of yesteryear no longer have enough in house to beat Max Verstappen. Jordan prefers to put his money on young talents.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/256567/e ... lenge.html

Jordan is a man of many opinions, but from time to time he manages to nail it.
I would rather have Alonso in my team than anyone else on the grid other than Max. He may be old but he seems to have lost nothing and gained more experience and savvy racecraft.... and he doesnt break the toys. Better to me to have that than youthful wannabee exuberance.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#1435

Post by Aty »

Porsche still ‘interested’ in F1 despite failed Red Bull link-up

Porsche are keeping tabs on F1 with the company’s director of motorsport sales Michael Dresier labelling it “an interesting series”. Porsche were in talks with Red Bull about entering F1 for 2026 - when the new engine regulations are introduced. Talks ultimately stalled, with Red Bull opting to build their own power unit in collaboration with Ford. Audi, who are part of the Volkswagen Group like Porsche, will enter F1 in 2026, taking over the existing Sauber (Stake) outfit. Speaking to Blackbook Motorsport, Dresier confirmed Porsche are still interested, but will focus on Formula E and the World Endurance Championship for now. “Motorsport will always be at the core of our brand...
https://www.gptoday.com/details/view/92 ... ll_linkup/

Is Minardi for sale? Brown is pushing for sale of the team to happen. I guess he would favor Andretti over Porsche.
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 49239
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#1436

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago
Porsche still ‘interested’ in F1 despite failed Red Bull link-up

Porsche are keeping tabs on F1 with the company’s director of motorsport sales Michael Dresier labelling it “an interesting series”. Porsche were in talks with Red Bull about entering F1 for 2026 - when the new engine regulations are introduced. Talks ultimately stalled, with Red Bull opting to build their own power unit in collaboration with Ford. Audi, who are part of the Volkswagen Group like Porsche, will enter F1 in 2026, taking over the existing Sauber (Stake) outfit. Speaking to Blackbook Motorsport, Dresier confirmed Porsche are still interested, but will focus on Formula E and the World Endurance Championship for now. “Motorsport will always be at the core of our brand...
https://www.gptoday.com/details/view/92 ... ll_linkup/

Is Minardi for sale? Brown is pushing for sale of the team to happen. I guess he would favor Andretti over Porsche.
Porsche said long ago they will keep an eye on F1 and I seem to recall them saying it certainly would not happen prior to 2030 at the very earliest, so anything regarding current tems is a bit too early to even think about.

As for Brown I think he is fighting a losing battle and blowing hot air in the case of forcing a sale of Alpha Tauri. My understanding is that part of the renaming of that team is also part of a new positioning of that team. They will no longer be seen as a Red Bull Junior team and wish to compete with their own agenda.albeit as a Red Bull customer team Yes they will no doubt buy many of the Red Bull parts as a result of that relationship, and may share resources. In reality that is nothing illegal or immoral.... As I have mentioned before they are no closer tied beyond having the same owner, than say Ferrari and Haas. Haas use every Ferrari part they can legally do so with. They have a design office within the Ferrari factory at Marinello. They use the Marinello windtunnel I believe, or at least their secondary one. They have many senior Ferrari personell allocated to them, no doubt in a manner that diverts staff away from the Ferrari budget cap. They buy in the exact Ferrari transmission, rear suspension, the complete. drive train, electrical components et al. Does Brown jump up and down about them?

Williams do the same with Mercedes as do Aston Martin. Lets not forget they claims of the Racing Point cars before they changed their name to Aston Martin, in the same way Sauber changed their name to Alfa Romeo. Aston Martin dont own the F1 team, although they share a primary shareholder. Stroll independently is the primary shareholder is both businesses, the same way he is with other corporations in his portfolio.

I mentioned Sauber.... they also buy in as much Ferrari as they can.

McLaren have that same opportunity to buy in half they car from Mercedes. It just so happens that as a customer team of Mercedes they choose not to. They choose to produce their own gearbox and therefore rear suspension. In reality the manor that McLaren operate as a customer team is the exception to the norm.

Did Brown, or anyone else jump up and down when Tota Wolff was a major shareholder and director of both Williams and Mercedes? No, not even a murmur.

I believe Brown is just anxious that Red Bull, the dominant team of recent years is legally able to share technologies with what is a customer team.... the shareholding iof those teams s immaterial as long as they keep to the rules which no one has ever suggested they dont. Brown is fearful that AT can potentially (legally) buy many of the critical RB components components. They design and produce their own chassis. They have their own design and aero team. Brown is worried of the competition they might be to McLaren.

AT being owned by the same pople as Red Bull never seemed to be an issue when Mercedes were the golden team.

Mark my words there will be teams we see launched over the coming weeks that look more like a Red Bull than the AT does. Thats the way F1 works and always has..... remember when Lotus first came up with the ground effects cars thatwiped the floor., The next year every team had a clone.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Post Reply