A Danish GP in 2020?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

A Danish GP in 2020?

Post by kals »

Plans are in motion

Autosport.com wrote:A consortium backing a grand prix in Danish capital Copenhagen for 2020 is in advanced talks with Formula 1 bosses, Autosport has learned.

A group led by Helge Sander, former Danish Minister of Science, Technology and Development, and Lars Seier Christensen, ex-owner of Saxo Bank, has proposed a circuit that would run through Copenhagen's city centre, passing landmarks such as the parliament building and crossing two major bridges.

Sander met with F1 CEO Chase Carey, his commercial chief Sean Bratches and director of promoters Chloe Targett-Adams over the Singapore GP weekend to discuss the plans in detail.

Danish ex-F1 driver Jan Magnussen has helped design the circuit, along with F1 track architect Hermann Tilke, and the layout has been described as 'Baku-like'. Magnussen reckoned the layout would make the circuit "one of the most spectacular in F1".

Autosport understands that Copenhagen town planners have already been briefed to interrogate the proposal and assess the impact a race would have on the functioning of the city centre.

The project has received further support from the Danish government, the royal family and the Copenhagen city government, although all parties are seeking private funding to make the project viable.

At the recent Singapore GP, organisers revealed that it cost the city state approximately £80million per year to stage and host the race, 60% of which was government-funded, with the remainder coming from promoters.

The Copenhagen scheme has already met with opposition from the Danish green lobby and there are further concerns that any race would effectively shut down the city centre for a week.

Sander said: "We have had some very positive meetings with Formula One Management and my feeling is that they would love to have a grand prix in Copenhagen."

Denmark's Ministry of Industry Brian Mikkelsen added: "We have discussed this with the private investors for some time and we're now talking openly about the project, because I think it looks more and more realistic. F1 would give Copenhagen enormous branding."

Christensen, whose Saxo Bank was previously a sponsor of the Lotus F1 team, said he was convinced any Danish GP would be a huge hit with fans, given the enormous popularity of Haas driver Kevin Magnussen in his home country.

"We will have no problems selling tickets for a grand prix in Copenhagen," he said.

"There are currently four Nordic drivers in F1 [Magnussen, Swede Marcus Ericsson, plus Finns Kimi Raikkonen and Valtteri Bottas], and at the moment, their fans have to go to Belgium or the south of Germany to see them race.

"For the Nordic countries and also for the north of Germany, Copenhagen will be the 'local' F1 circuit.

"But we'll need both public and private investors for a project of this magnitude."

When contacted by Autosport about the possibility of a Danish GP, an F1 spokesman said: "We have received, and are receiving, a number of proposals from various race promoters keen to host a Formula 1 grand prix."

Denmark has never hosted a round of the F1 world championship, although Roskilde, the Magnussens' home town, did host two non-championship F1 events in 1961-62 at the Roskilde Ring circuit. The 1961 race was won by Stirling Moss, the '62 race by Jack Brabham.

A Danish Grand Prix was staged 11 more times between 1960 and 1995, for Formula Junior, Formula 3 and Formula 2 events.

Red Bull also staged an F1 street demonstration in Copenhagen in 2012.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

That's an awesome layout.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Cheeveer wrote: 6 years ago That's an awesome layout.
Jac. Nellemann had a similar idea some 40 years ago, it reached about the same stage of development as that which is displayed, then got binned. I'll dig out the literature and scan, so as you may compare then and now. It'll probably be realized this time around.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Start/finish straight on Pusher Street?
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

John wrote: 6 years ago Start/finish straight on Pusher Street?
:haha: In Melbourne and Sydney we both have a much more appropriate Pit(t) St. (the St obviously standing for Straight and not Street.) :whistling:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Nice layout that. If it's suitable wide, that could be quite nice.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Jesper Hvid wrote: 6 years ago
Jac. Nellemann had a similar idea some 40 years ago, it reached about the same stage of development as that which is displayed, then got binned. I'll dig out the literature and scan, so as you may compare then and now. It'll probably be realized this time around.
If you have a trackmap, please post it. There is nothing on the Track database concerning a planned GP in Copenhagen.
Eddywatson
Favourite Driver: Hamilton
Favourite Circuit: Monaco
Car(s) Currently Owned: Vauxhall Astra CTG 2016

Post by Eddywatson »

that circuit looks very interesting!
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: EDDYGAMEVIDEOS
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Michkov wrote: 6 years ago
Jesper Hvid wrote: 6 years ago
If you have a trackmap, please post it. There is nothing on the Track database concerning a planned GP in Copenhagen.
I shall, I haven't forgotten, I just haven't located the magazine, yet. Sorry for the delay.

The usual Danish F1 pre-season mag is out, actually there are two, this time. This is the article (2 scans) about the plans for the 2020, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

I'll do a tranny (hehe) of both, when they are both available. There's something I need to tell you about why it's likely never going to happen.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I'm highly doubtful of any new F1 race in a European country going ahead, until P1 gets underway these days myself.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

It was officially taken off the agenda today, which I entirely expected. The City Council are social democrats, and the people behind the idea of an F1 GP of Copenhagen are ultra-liberals. Apart from Lars Seier, they are all idiots. It could never have happened, anyway, as there is too much resentment between the two parties, so they sabotage each other, instead.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Haha, here the liberals and social democrats are the same party (liberal democrats), they merged back in the 80's iirc.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

yeah, but someone has to get the blame.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Assen has been ruled out, so it is now down to Zandvoort if the Dutch GP is to return

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14188 ... e-dutch-gp
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

STOP!!!
Assen is NOT ruled out!!!

The FOM has send Assen a few months ago a letter that when Zandvoort can not accomplish the demands before March 31st, Assen is a candidate. Assen has this on black and white.

Thing is that Zandvoort has a huge lobby going on. Old boys network. And Zandvoort is DESPERATE. Very desperate. They try to get funding.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."