Rate the 2017 Australian GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2017 Australian GP

No votes
No votes
3%
17%
28%
31%
7%
7%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 29

Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Bottom post of the previous page:

At least 2 of the 6 I register comes from the fact that it wasn't a Merc on the top step.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote:
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:
Everso Biggyballies wrote:it gives me (false) hope for the season.
Fixed ;).

I gave it a six.

Some stuff happened (a couple of passes, some break downs, a non-Merc win), but nothing amazing.

Merc still faster, but rooted themselves in the arse. But Fezza is thereabouts.
Have you renewed your membership for the Vettel Hate Club this year? As far as perksngo, I don't really see this win as good value for money.
Don't need to renew with a life membership :P.

Feel sort of torn. Dislike Hamilton (but don't outright 'hate' him), and hate Merc's dominance. Pretty close to hate Vettel (but not MS levels of hate), and he drives for Ferrari (the hate runs deep).

Umm, go Sauber!
Can someone remind me (well Monte really) whose engines Sauber use..... :whistling: :wink:
I just wanted John to be happy :P. But point taken!
That wont work.... The man is a self confessed Future Champion™ Born Grump (with inbuilt traces of Irony) :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

erwin greven wrote:
Antonov wrote:One of the best F1 races in months.
Antonov wrote:5 seems fair. Very average.
Well, it was the best race of the last 3 months...
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MiÑardi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1 + Indycar
Car(s) Currently Owned: Toyota Celica GT

Post by MiÑardi »

I'm amazed by some of the ratings. Was it just because Mercedes didn't win, or was I watching something completely different? Literally no meaningful overtakes in the entire top 10, and cars that could barely even get into DRS range. It reminded me of a race from 2004, but even more strung out.

I really wanted to see a Ferrari win, but it was still a terrible race.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Good result, awful race. The move that won the race was straight out of the early to mid-2000's playbook, jumping someone at the pit stops. The top 6 order at the end of the last lap was the same as the end of the first, bar the switch between Lewis and Seb.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

MiÑardi wrote:I'm amazed by some of the ratings. Was it just because Mercedes didn't win, or was I watching something completely different? Literally no meaningful overtakes in the entire top 10, and cars that could barely even get into DRS range. It reminded me of a race from 2004, but even more strung out.

This.

I was really disappointed with the lack of on-track overtaking. Our fears from when they announced the rule changes came true. Cars are faster, but the changes have made overtaking harder.

Hamilton was over 2 seconds faster on track than Verstappen after his pitstop, but could not overtake him.

I was kind of hoping he and Vettel could have battled on the track, but instead we got overtaking by pitstop and backmarker.

I gave it a 4. There was some good, but mostly a boring race where all the cars were spread out. Nice race for 10th though...
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I enjoyed it despite the lack of incident. It felt like formula one, more so than recent seasons. The drivers looked to be pushing, the cars looked awesome.

I think I would rather have an interesting season consisting of less interesting races, than a boring season packed with whacky races. If that makes any sense at all.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Greg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: lots
Favourite Driver: lots
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Greg »

MonteCristo wrote:
Everso Biggyballies wrote:it gives me (false) hope for the season.
Fixed ;).

I gave it a six.

Some stuff happened (a couple of passes, some break downs, a non-Merc win), but nothing amazing.

Merc still faster, but rooted themselves in the arse. But Fezza is thereabouts.
How you holding up Monte after messy Oz GP?
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Good result and promising that Ferrari obviously have a good car that they will hopefully not then screw up the development of, but it was an extremely poor race. There were a few times during the Grand Prix where a much quicker car came up behind a slower one, but then could do absolutely nothing. Melbourne never throws up particularly brilliant races unless it rains or lots of drivers have first-day brain fades, but still.

Wouldn't it be a shame if the first time in years we have the potential of two equally competitive teams fighting at the front, all the races are decided by pit stops and traffic. I'll give it a few more races before forming a lasting opinion, but yeah - today's race was nothing special. 4 or 5 from me. Not sure which.

EDIT: oh, and to add - the cars did look a bit quicker, but to me the difference wasn't particularly startling. Additionally, they seemed to move around a whole lot less. Will be interesting to see if they look any better at... oh, we're going to China next. Oh well :(.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

XcraigX wrote:
MiÑardi wrote:I'm amazed by some of the ratings. Was it just because Mercedes didn't win, or was I watching something completely different? Literally no meaningful overtakes in the entire top 10, and cars that could barely even get into DRS range. It reminded me of a race from 2004, but even more strung out.

This.

I was really disappointed with the lack of on-track overtaking. Our fears from when they announced the rule changes came true. Cars are faster, but the changes have made overtaking harder.

Hamilton was over 2 seconds faster on track than Verstappen after his pitstop, but could not overtake him.

I was kind of hoping he and Vettel could have battled on the track, but instead we got overtaking by pitstop and backmarker.

I gave it a 4. There was some good, but mostly a boring race where all the cars were spread out. Nice race for 10th though...
Agree with both. Let's face it, this was a terrible race, only mitigated slightly by the fact that it was the season-opener and that we have a different winning car for the first time in an age.

The regulation changes to the aero designs of the cars appear at first glance to be a complete flop. We hardly even got them that faster. They are only 1-2 seconds quicker. Was it worth it? Happy with the new tyres though.

Also, once again, the track looks empty. We are down to 20 cars, out of which 19 started and there was relatively high attrition. Not an acceptable number of runners in my view.
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Post by LaraCroft2016 »

The fact that Vettel wins, make it interesting. :wave:
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Gone with a 5 too. I think the first post summed it up well. Melbourne is a different beast to other circuits. We'll know a lot more after China.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
roo

Post by roo »

6 here.
it was better than I expected but still quite dull. Merc didn't run away with it. Red Bull looked stronger than expected. Glad there is a least a challenger to Merc.
I am hopeful for a good season but we will see in the coming races on 'racetracks' if Australia was a one off.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The first race always gets high ratings. The excitement of F1 being back I guess.

I kind of agree with Sandeep (?) who said the race was kind of old skool. Strung out cars, race won on strategy, retirements through breakdowns. It was like watching a race from 2001.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

It was a bit old skool. Schumacher-esque win by Vettel. In no ways a disaster of a race, just a bit tedious after the pit stops.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

well they are considerably faster thru the corners
and thankfully there is a ton less clag to the point that you can actually drive offline.
We can see that they are actually pushing rather than just driving around.
I think this first race afforded a glimpse of better racing than we've had for years.
Try giving it a chance.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill