[cpdb] Fixes/Revisions List

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#346

Post by Motorsportrace »

Bottom post of the previous page:

hollie3sa wrote: 10 months ago Not exactly sure where to ask, so I'm doing it here.

Can you guys access links from documentingreality such as the two in the following post?

viewtopic.php?p=232282#p232282

Because I can not (See screenshot below) and have to use a VPN to access them.

Image

@Motorsportrace @Sedre @PTRACER (mentioning you here because you are our IT guy 😇)
Yes, I can access those pictures.
Quite strange... maybe they blocked your IP Address?
Motorsportrace
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#347

Post by hollie3sa »

Motorsportrace wrote: 10 months ago
hollie3sa wrote: 10 months ago Not exactly sure where to ask, so I'm doing it here.

Can you guys access links from documentingreality such as the two in the following post?

viewtopic.php?p=232282#p232282

Because I can not (See screenshot below) and have to use a VPN to access them.

Image

@Motorsportrace @Sedre @PTRACER (mentioning you here because you are our IT guy 😇)
Yes, I can access those pictures.
Quite strange... maybe they blocked your IP Address?
Quite possibly. Although I moved not too long ago and can't remember ever having really accessed their website. Who knows.

Thank you!
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#348

Post by hollie3sa »

I've removed this picture (which I had probably added in the first place) from Fabrizio Meoni's fatal accident from the CPdB. It was posted here along the other pictures that are still available.

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Be ... /meoni.jpg
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#349

Post by Motorsportrace »

hollie3sa wrote: 10 months ago I've removed this picture (which I had probably added in the first place) from Fabrizio Meoni's fatal accident from the CPdB. It was posted here along the other pictures that are still available.

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Be ... /meoni.jpg
It doesn't belong to the CPDB, you think?
Motorsportrace
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#350

Post by hollie3sa »

Motorsportrace wrote: 10 months ago
hollie3sa wrote: 10 months ago I've removed this picture (which I had probably added in the first place) from Fabrizio Meoni's fatal accident from the CPdB. It was posted here along the other pictures that are still available.

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Be ... /meoni.jpg
It doesn't belong to the CPDB, you think?
No, in my opinion. It has nothing to do with the actual incident. But I'm open to discussion and happy for other members' opinion on it.
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42089
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#351

Post by PTRACER »

Another person has contacted me asking me to remove a photo from the database. This time it depicts the death of their father so they requested us to remove the photo.

At this point, I'm seriously considering making this database password protected and removing it from public view. As time goes on, despite all the 'good' that is coming from it, I am getting more and more nervous about it being online.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#352

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote: 9 months ago Another person has contacted me asking me to remove a photo from the database. This time it depicts the death of their father so they requested us to remove the photo.

At this point, I'm seriously considering making this database password protected and removing it from public view. As time goes on, despite all the 'good' that is coming from it, I am getting more and more nervous about it being online.
Who's that?
You can answer me by PM, if you don't want to say who he was.

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the CPDB, except maybe for the fact that there are some copyrighted photos there.
Motorsportrace
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42089
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#353

Post by PTRACER »

Motorsportrace wrote: 9 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 9 months ago Another person has contacted me asking me to remove a photo from the database. This time it depicts the death of their father so they requested us to remove the photo.

At this point, I'm seriously considering making this database password protected and removing it from public view. As time goes on, despite all the 'good' that is coming from it, I am getting more and more nervous about it being online.
Who's that?
You can answer me by PM, if you don't want to say who he was.

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the CPDB, except maybe for the fact that there are some copyrighted photos there.
Yeah that's the biggest worry for me by far.

I'll PM you the name.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#354

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote: 9 months ago Yeah that's the biggest worry for me by far.

I'll PM you the name.
Well, the photo didn't show anything bad.
I know someone could be unhappy (to say the least) that a photo of a fatal accident which happened to a relative is available to the public, but, well... that's what newspapers and websites do.
Also, the driver/rider chose to take part in that event, knew the risks and, well, what's wrong about documenting something which happened in a public place?

I fear this might be the end of the CPDB.
Unless we become "tougher" and say "no", but that's not something I would be happy to do.
Motorsportrace
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#355

Post by hollie3sa »

Was it a (relatively) recent fatality?
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#356

Post by Motorsportrace »

hollie3sa wrote: 9 months ago Was it a (relatively) recent fatality?
No, not at all.
Motorsportrace
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#357

Post by hollie3sa »

Since about 99.99 %, if not 100 % of the photos we added to the CPdB are publically available, I think it's safe to assume that it's not the fact that they're available that's bothering the people (knowing full well that they probably are not aware of that). But the fact that the picture(s) is/are easily accessible in combination with the name of the (in this case deceased) person popping up among the first Google results.

Working on the CPdB, we had to know that this was likely something that was eventually going to happen.
Do I think it's the right thing to store pictures of fatalities? Yes
Do I think it's the right thing to publish pictures of fatalities? Generally, yes. Since I consider the CPdB a database that is gathering historical documents (=pictures) of motor racing accidents, which fatalities are a part of. From a 'scientific' perspective, you would not not include them when discussing that topic.
Do I think it's the right thing to remove them from the CPdB when asked for by a relative of the deceased? Generally, yes. We are possibly perceived as a sensationalist community, overenjoying the morbidity of these events. I think I can speak for the majority of us here saying this is not out motivation.
But you can't blame people who are looking up their grandfather's name on Google and the first thing that pops up is a picture of the very moment he died in.


=> Remove (=hide) fatalities from the CPdB; restricted access only?
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#358

Post by hollie3sa »

I currently receive this message when trying to access the CPdB:

Image
User avatar
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 6209
Joined: 15 years ago
Real Name: Simon
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

#359

Post by theracer120 »

Looks like the entire main page of the website is broken.
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#360

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Same here.
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#361

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

I'm getting a "General Upload Failure" error when I attempt to use the image uploader.

@PTRACER
Post Reply