2025 Driver Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago
Aty wrote: 1 month ago It is Horner, not Marko, who is favoring DR. If it was up to Helmut only, DR would not be today in any way associated with either RB team.
..... maybe he is just a nice guy. :idunno:
Oh wait, Albon and Gasly and others are disagreeing that sentiment.
Add my name to those two (and a few others).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

One thing I forgot to mention that might be an influence in the Ocon to Mercedes argument (even if just for one year) is that Ocon still has a tenuous link to the Mercedes programme and he is it should be remembered personally managed by Toto Wolff. The Wolff factor, be it a tad incestuous in a conflict of interest manner, cannot be overlooked.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago Still a two-year contract with Perez: https://www.grandprix.com/news/marko-de ... -only.html

Quote from the cuddly and lovable Helmut Marko: "There are always clauses in contracts, but in general it is really a two-year contract."
OK, if not him, then whom? Was Yuki ready for life in an A-team? I am almost fanatical about all Japanese, a land and people I love, but Yuki, good as he was, somehow made me hesitant whether he would be strong enough to withstand exposure to hostile (and frequently nasty) media.
Hakkinen amazed Red Bull re-signed Perez

Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner doesn't seem to deny that Perez's deal is not necessarily for two guaranteed years, but a one-year deal with a one-year option for 2026.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/hakkinen ... -2025.html
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I just don't see Yuki as one of the top level drivers. Too many mistakes, too emotional on the radio etc. There is a controlled feeling when Verstappen is bitching about things, but Yuki feels like the red mist has descended.

He seems to have raw speed most weekends, but I just don't see the driver who is going to bring home a constructors championship when he's fighting the top tier drivers every weekend. See Gasly for evidence.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty

Post by Aty »

Latest rumor mill:

1. Ocon might leave Alpine in mid season.

2. Sainz has signed with Williams (4y), rejecting Audi's offer.

3. Toto was planning to seed Antonelli at Williams for a season, but now he will probably take him on to Mercedes (as Sainz tossed wrench into it).

Australian team reserve and rookie Doohan, 21, is the favourite to replace Ocon, but also rumoured is that likely Sauber refugee Guanyu Zhou's sponsors are offering a potential employer for the Chinese driver a huge $35 million for 2025.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Aty wrote: 4 weeks ago Latest rumor mill:

3. Toto was planning to seed Antonelli at Williams for a season, but now he will probably take him on to Mercedes (as Sainz tossed wrench into it).

Australian team reserve and rookie Doohan, 21, is the favourite to replace Ocon, but also rumoured is that likely Sauber refugee Guanyu Zhou's sponsors are offering a potential employer for the Chinese driver a huge $35 million for 2025.
From what I understand the Williams offer to Sainz is indeed potentially a 4 year deal but is made up as a 2+2 in Carlos's favour..... firm for 2025 and '26 with the option of continuing for another two years his option alone. Sainz has the option to exit after two years, Williams dont have that exit possibility. With that deal it only seems common sense to take it out of the options available.

Without doubt, given the two options of Williams or Sauber / Audi, Williams is by far the strongest option for 2025. Given that in 2026 we have the new chassis and engine regs, the belief is that Audi wont be competitive in their year 1 as Audi. Straight into a race winning or even being firmly in the pointy end has never happened before.... I dont include Brawn because Ross knew the hundreds of millions Honda had invested into the car that Brawn inherited. It also had the gamechanging double diffuser as its secret weapon. Mercedes in an uncapped environment struggled to get near to the front for a few years.

Williams also have indicated they are being heavily invested in by Dorilton , investment in new top line personnel, new systems and increased resources in the factory.

Audi for 2026 are fronting with their first ever dabble at an F1 engine. The Audi investment for 2025 is in systems , personnel and the development of the new 2026 car when it all becomes officially Audi. The 2025 Sauber car is far down the list of priorities. Against the likes of Mercedes who are not exactly entering their first rodeo. Thy know how to build an F1 engine whereas Audi are relative virgins.. For 2026 Williams has to be the better offer than Audi.

Then with the way Williams offer is structured, Carlos has the option to look at the driving opportunities on the table for 2027 before committing to Williams. Maybe a by then must better positioned and F1 experienced Audi might still have an opportunity for Carlos.

As for VCARB the big rumour is that prior to Canada, they were of the mind to replace Danny with Lawson after the Summer break. Has Danny done nough in one race to defray that swap happening. For sure Danny does not want to have any week races in the run up to half terms, That is just 4 races away, Spain, Austria Britain and Hungary. Danny needs 4 weekends like he had in Canada to ensrure he is still in a seat for Spa after the break.

Bearman to Haas and Antonelli to Mercedes for 2025 seems all but assured. Given from all accounts there are no opportunities for Antonelli at Williams for 2025 given the Sainz expectation, might we see Sargeant replaced by Antonelli at Williams fro Monza on when Antonelli will have a proper Superlicence. Allow Antonelli to make his F1 race debut and prove himself to be the next coming.

Ocon seems favoured to joint Bearman at Haas. It seems he sees Haas as a better option than Sauber as had been hinted was his destination when the Sainz to Williams chat became clearer.

Alpine seem to be leaning towards Doohan, but equally given the Renault corporate plans for China, and their confirmation of deals just sighned to tie Renault closer to China, maybe Zhou is a contender there. Of course there is also the Bottas factor and his chances at Alpine.

Sauber / Audi seem to be in the situation of struggling to find anyone wanting to drive for them for the immediate future in the vacant seat alongside Hulk. Maybe, depending as to how things fall in place at Alpine, either Bottas or Zhou will be reclaimed / retained there. I guess there might be a place for Danny Ric there! :haha:

Aty

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago
Aty wrote: 4 weeks ago Latest rumor mill:

From what I understand the Williams offer to Sainz is indeed potentially a 4 year deal but is made up as a 2+2 in Carlos's favour..... firm for 2025 and '26 with the option of continuing for another two years his option alone. Sainz has the option to exit after two years, Williams dont have that exit possibility. With that deal it only seems common sense to take it out of the options available.

Without doubt, given the two options of Williams or Sauber / Audi, Williams is by far the strongest option for 2025. Given that in 2026 we have the new chassis and engine regs, the belief is that Audi wont be competitive in their year 1 as Audi. Straight into a race winning or even being firmly in the pointy end has never happened before.... I dont include Brawn because Ross knew the hundreds of millions Honda had invested into the car that Brawn inherited. It also had the gamechanging double diffuser as its secret weapon. Mercedes in an uncapped environment struggled to get near to the front for a few years.

Williams also have indicated they are being heavily invested in by Dorilton , investment in new top line personnel, new systems and increased resources in the factory.

Audi for 2026 are fronting with their first ever dabble at an F1 engine. The Audi investment for 2025 is in systems , personnel and the development of the new 2026 car when it all becomes officially Audi. The 2025 Sauber car is far down the list of priorities. Against the likes of Mercedes who are not exactly entering their first rodeo. Thy know how to build an F1 engine whereas Audi are relative virgins.. For 2026 Williams has to be the better offer than Audi.

Then with the way Williams offer is structured, Carlos has the option to look at the driving opportunities on the table for 2027 before committing to Williams. Maybe a by then must better positioned and F1 experienced Audi might still have an opportunity for Carlos.

As for VCARB the big rumour is that prior to Canada, they were of the mind to replace Danny with Lawson after the Summer break. Has Danny done nough in one race to defray that swap happening. For sure Danny does not want to have any week races in the run up to half terms, That is just 4 races away, Spain, Austria Britain and Hungary. Danny needs 4 weekends like he had in Canada to ensrure he is still in a seat for Spa after the break.

Bearman to Haas and Antonelli to Mercedes for 2025 seems all but assured. Given from all accounts there are no opportunities for Antonelli at Williams for 2025 given the Sainz expectation, might we see Sargeant replaced by Antonelli at Williams fro Monza on when Antonelli will have a proper Superlicence. Allow Antonelli to make his F1 race debut and prove himself to be the next coming.

Ocon seems favoured to joint Bearman at Haas. It seems he sees Haas as a better option than Sauber as had been hinted was his destination when the Sainz to Williams chat became clearer.

Alpine seem to be leaning towards Doohan, but equally given the Renault corporate plans for China, and their confirmation of deals just sighned to tie Renault closer to China, maybe Zhou is a contender there. Of course there is also the Bottas factor and his chances at Alpine.

Sauber / Audi seem to be in the situation of struggling to find anyone wanting to drive for them for the immediate future in the vacant seat alongside Hulk. Maybe, depending as to how things fall in place at Alpine, either Bottas or Zhou will be reclaimed / retained there. I guess there might be a place for Danny Ric there! :haha:

Sainz responded angrilly - nothing is signed, and some media should be punished for spreading false information. Regarding DR, I hope Andreas has more common sense. Re-signing Zhou might be commercially a good decision. Whether it would be good for the F1 team is for debate.
Aty

Post by Aty »

@Everso Biggyballies
Sauber / Audi seem to be in the situation of struggling to find anyone wanting to drive for them for the immediate future in the vacant seat alongside Hulk.
You found a reason to recall Seb, even if I have to get there, and drag him in myself, should he hesitate.
Aty

Post by Aty »

Even Montoya got int an act.

Is Antonelli really shoe-in for next year with Toto? Some say yes, some think Max will jump, and Toto is quiet.

The d-market resembles Tsukiji.

https://www.grandprix.com/news/marko-th ... nelli.html
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Max wont go anywhere for 2025.... it is his opportunity to see first hand how Red Bull sans Newey operate. How they can overcome and develop their way through the hiccups such as they are encountering now with how to fine tune the car to be better. Allow him to evaluate the upgrades to ensure they are actual upgrades and not as the latest upgrade package appears, to in fact be downgrades. (As Toto has hypocritically suggested.... Toto seems to have forgotten how inept his own organisation has been for the two years of ineffective upgrades previous to this year.)

For 2026 it will also give him a window to see how Red Bull Powertrains / Ford are progressing with their new 2026 engine. I am sure Toto will be telling Max how Mercedes have unlocked some magic secret that, like Niki Lauda was able to do to entice Lewis to jump to Mercedes before the hybrids came online. It will make any decision regarding 2026/7/8 and the future F1 likely order of merit on the team ladder more fact based.

Aty

Post by Aty »

This "RB sans Newey" is rather puzzling. Since the dawn of time when a man overcame his fear and came out of his cave, Newey, some say, became the greatest engineer of all engineers. The thing is then, what was he doing lately? Dr. Marko revealed their car has contained several fundamental design flaws for the past two or three years, yet no one in the media wants to come anywhere near to blame Newey for that. Maybe he collects only accolades for the good stuff, or he was not involved for some time and Max can sleep well despite Newey' departure. At Mercedes, it is the same. When all is well, Allison collects all the roses thrown at him, but once there is a screw-up, it's all Toto's fault becase he doesn't love Hamilton sufficiently.

If Sauber has problems attracting top-line personnel, then they must work with what they have. It's as simple as that. Years of (financial) inadequacy are leaving a black mark on where the team is today. Audi is of course grateful for the partnership Sauber offered and will support Swiss operations in the very best way possible. I don't expect FiA to tell them you were running low on money in the past, so we let you now spend more to catch up with others. It is what it is, and expectations need adjustment with reality.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Just to add some fuel to the fire over whether or not Antonelli will be racing at Mercedes, and potentially even this year, this has happened:-
Now, no one is saying anything specific, but it does make you wonder doesn't it? Or it could just be me ;)

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe they want to put Antonelli in a Williams this season to see how well he goes. If they do, it might be cheerio Sargeant I would think.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty

Post by Aty »

It was said that Mercedes planned to seed Antonelli for a 2025 season with Williams. That plan apparently was tossed, because a seat goes (alledgedly) to Sainz. Toto then decided to take youngster on to Mercedes for next year. (All speculation in media). Testing Antonelli already this season makes then some sense, if they go ahead with that plan. FiA meanwhile lowered the age treshold.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Since FIA decided to lower the super license age mid-season it's getting obvious Antonelli could well get a F1 debut with Williams somewhere around the summer break or right after. Sargeant is an absolute waste of space and everyone knows it for a long time.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 4 weeks ago Just to add some fuel to the fire over whether or not Antonelli will be racing at Mercedes, and potentially even this year, this has happened:-
Now, no one is saying anything specific, but it does make you wonder doesn't it? Or it could just be me ;)

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe they want to put Antonelli in a Williams this season to see how well he goes. If they do, it might be cheerio Sargeant I would think.
I said similar a couple of days ago.... before they lowered the age of holding the license. Great minds etc :haha:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago .......Bearman to Haas and Antonelli to Mercedes for 2025 seems all but assured. Given from all accounts there are no opportunities for Antonelli at Williams for 2025 given the Sainz expectation, might we see Sargeant replaced by Antonelli at Williams fro Monza on when Antonelli will have a proper Superlicence. Allow Antonelli to make his F1 race debut and prove himself to be the next coming......
Actually I find the about turn amusing in a flip flop sort of way. It was only recently they upped the minimum age to 18 because of concerns over Max being so young when he started. I guess he has proved the age concens were wrong though.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago
Star wrote: 4 weeks ago Just to add some fuel to the fire over whether or not Antonelli will be racing at Mercedes, and potentially even this year, this has happened:-

I said similar a couple of days ago.... before they lowered the age of holding the license. Great minds etc :haha:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago .......Bearman to Haas and Antonelli to Mercedes for 2025 seems all but assured. Given from all accounts there are no opportunities for Antonelli at Williams for 2025 given the Sainz expectation, might we see Sargeant replaced by Antonelli at Williams fro Monza on when Antonelli will have a proper Superlicence. Allow Antonelli to make his F1 race debut and prove himself to be the next coming......
Actually I find the about turn amusing in a flip flop sort of way. It was only recently they upped the minimum age to 18 because of concerns over Max being so young when he started. I guess he has proved the age concens were wrong though.
I missed seeing you had written that, but yeah, great minds ;) It would make a lot of sense when you think about it. Antonelli would have muchless pressure and he surely can't do a worse job than Sargeant can he?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!