2025 Driver Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Current Scenario

Red Bull: Verstappen, Perez (not confirmed)
Ferrari: Leclerc, Hamilton (great line up... this is going to be fun)
Mercedes: Russell, open seat (guessing Ocon or Sainz)
McLaren: Norris, Piastri
Aston Martin: Alonso, Stroll?
Alpine: Ocon?, Gasly? (don't know who fills an open seat)
Audi: open seat, Hulkenberg (guessing Sainz or Gasly)
Williams: Albon, Sargeant?, Antonelli? Bottas?
Red Bull Jr: Tsunoda? Ricciardo? Lawson?
Haas: Magnussen? Bearman?

Floater: Sainz (either Audi, Mercedes, AM or RB)
Promoted: Hulkenberg, Ocon?
Probably gone: Bottas, Zhou, Sargent

1. It appears that RB Jr, Haas and Williams may become the home to up and coming drivers (Lawson, Bearman and Antonelli). Of course, someone has to leave or get promoted for them to have a spot.
2. It appears that the following drivers may be in their last year in F1: Bottas, Zhou, Sargeant, Ricciardo?
Last edited by Ruslan 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Alain, Michael, Seb

Post by Aty »

In re: Interview with Carlos Sainz / Imola

Carlos Sainz believes that a decision on his future for 2025 could be some way off being finalised, with the Spaniard stating that the situation is not progressing quickly amid continued moves in the driver market.

Sainz’s destination, meanwhile, remains unknown, with the 29-year-old left without a seat in 2025 given the impending arrival of Lewis Hamilton. Asked ahead of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix when news of his future might be expected, Sainz responded: “When I have it, you’ll know.”
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ripCZhZURe

In summary, Sainz saga goes on. Hard to name teams in his focus, since realistically there is only one seat available for a driver of his stature, and that is at Mercedes. I am still not sure what is the main reason for Toto delaying his call. Could be unwanted employment terms which Sainz is demanding? (I think RB will retain Perez.)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 3 weeks ago
In summary, Sainz saga goes on. Hard to name teams in his focus, since realistically there is only one seat available for a driver of his stature, and that is at Mercedes. I am still not sure what is the main reason for Toto delaying his call. Could be unwanted employment terms which Sainz is demanding? (I think RB will retain Perez.)
I reckon Toto is still hoping Antonelli is going to come good in F2 and with all his F1 testing going on in the background with previous years cars as allowed will suddenly come good in the hope he will come in and shock the establishment like Lewis did at McLaren back in 2007. Personally I dont share his confidence.... underwhelming is the only word to describe Antonelli in F2 to date. (Its F2 this weekend at Imola so maybe he will surprise us all. Its a home event for him on a track he knows and he is talking up his chances of a big weekend. He is currently only 9th in the F2 title chase and needs it. .

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

I think that Sainz should sign for Audi, I think that Perez will stay at RBR and that Ocon will end up at Mercedes maybe with a one year contract, Toto hoping that Max will leave RBR in 2026 to join the silver arrows. I'm still unsure that moving to Mercedes in 2026 would be a good move, I know that the new regulations will spice things up but Mercedes seems to have some very basic issues that they can't address
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 3 weeks ago I think that Sainz should sign for Audi, I think that Perez will stay at RBR and that Ocon will end up at Mercedes maybe with a one year contract,
Toto hoping that Max will leave RBR in 2026 to join the silver arrows. I
'm still unsure that moving to Mercedes in 2026 would be a good move, I know that the new regulations will spice things up but Mercedes seems to have some very basic issues that they can't address
Apparently you are echoing a German source. I am not going to repeat the old allegations, but claims are floating around that with Newey there was more to it than just "I am leaving beause I am tired of the F1 - for now". Rumors regarding further departures from RB are not cold as yet. Back to Toto, Wolff is (alledgedly) working on signing Max Verstappen, and Red Bull's technical director Pierre Waché, who is said to have similar qualities to Adrian Newey. Personnaly I wish Andreas would smoke the Waché for my team, for I suspect he was one in the group largely responsible for recent rise of the RB team on vehicle side. Newey was not involved in day to day development.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I think I saw Antonelli in the barriers in F2 practice before.... not a good start to his feelings of a good weekend at a track he knows well. More underwhelmingness if there is such a word.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 weeks ago I think I saw Antonelli in the barriers in F2 practice before.... not a good start to his feelings of a good weekend at a track he knows well. More underwhelmingness if there is such a word.
Bearman put it in the barriers.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 weeks ago I think I saw Antonelli in the barriers in F2 practice before.... not a good start to his feelings of a good weekend at a track he knows well. More underwhelmingness if there is such a word.
Is it credible that Wolff wants Antonelli so badly? Toto seems to be holding his cards close to his chest.

He has on his plate little more than Horner, who is getting help from Marko, and his junior team. Toto once said that in current F1 complexity is too much for a one person to manage the team. I think we can see it. Drivers, current car, 2026, etc. Pretty tiring life. He need second Lauda for consultations.
HAMILTON SAYS ANTONELLI TO MERCEDES IN 2025, ROSBERG DISAGREES
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/05/17 ... disagrees/

Hamilton said he would choose Kimi over Sainz. My recommendation to Toto - get away from Hamilton as far as you can, and as fast as you can.
Reports suggest Mercedes boss Toto Wolff is happy to wait until as late as October for the situation at Red Bull to unfold and he might be able to snap up Max Verstappen.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

On the other hand, it may work better for negotiations to create lots of buzz about wanting Antonelli, so they can force Sainz or Ocon to sign the contract Merecedes wants. Playing the field is done by both sides (drivers and teams).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 3 weeks ago On the other hand, it may work better for negotiations to create lots of buzz about wanting Antonelli, so they can force Sainz or Ocon to sign the contract Merecedes wants. Playing the field is done by both sides (drivers and teams).
Fair comment. :thumbsup:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Ehmm, telling Max (through intermediary) I am waiting for you until October, and then telling paddock he is thinking to take a junior in lieu of Max, seems rather indication of chaotic mind for anyone to believe this story. No person would take him seriously. Playing however Ocon against Sainz, that is more serious gamesmanship.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Lewis tips Antonelli as his successor at Mercedes

Lewis has chipped in and suggested Mercedes should go with Antonelli to take over his seat next year.....
Lewis Hamilton has backed youngster Andrea Kimi Antonelli as his successor at the Mercedes Formula 1 team, and there are several reasons to agree with him.

Mercedes is still waiting to see if it can somehow convince Max Verstappen to join the team as Red Bull's power plays drag on, but as time goes on it has become clear that Antonelli might well be its man for the future.

On Thursday at Imola, Hamilton said he would put the Italian youngster in the car if it had been his call.

"Honestly, I have no idea what Toto [Wolff]'s plans are but I think for me taking on a youngster would be [the way to go]. If it was my job, I would probably take on Kimi," the seven-time world champion said.

But as much as taking on a rookie has not been Mercedes' modus operandi, perhaps the stars have never aligned so well to put its faith into one this time.

Mercedes' recent actions are suggesting Hamilton's thinking isn't far off that of his employer. Ever since his bombshell move to Ferrari for 2025 was announced, Mercedes has been accelerating its development path for its 17-year-old protege.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spea ... /10611699/

Hmmmmm.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

If the Red Bull continues to struggle as it seems to be this weekend, maybe Max Verstappen will look again at his position of staying where he is. That will shake things up. Will Perez even want to stay? Though I doubt he has any other options to be fair. Of course this weekend could just be an anomoly but who knows? After all, Norris won the last race.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Senna4ever
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: 1) LECLERC!!, 2) Sainz, 3) Senna
Favourite Circuit: Olanda

Post by Senna4ever »

Star wrote: 3 weeks ago If the Red Bull continues to struggle as it seems to be this weekend, maybe Max Verstappen will look again at his position of staying where he is. That will shake things up. Will Perez even want to stay? Though I doubt he has any other options to be fair. Of course this weekend could just be an anomoly but who knows? After all, Norris won the last race.
You are right; but then, where would Verstappen go? In Ferrari instead of Sainz?
<3 Ah Sabbadah! <3
I... I will never forget 24 July 2023...
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Senna4ever wrote: 3 weeks ago
Star wrote: 3 weeks ago If the Red Bull continues to struggle as it seems to be this weekend, maybe Max Verstappen will look again at his position of staying where he is. That will shake things up. Will Perez even want to stay? Though I doubt he has any other options to be fair. Of course this weekend could just be an anomoly but who knows? After all, Norris won the last race.
You are right; but then, where would Verstappen go? In Ferrari instead of Sainz?

No he can't because Hamilton is going there for 2025. Max has few good options, either stay at Red Bull or hope that Mercedes improve their car and go there I'd say.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mercedes have a bad weekend every race. As Max said if the car is no good I would not drive it for 250 million