The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Stanky
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Ross Chastain

Post by Stanky »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Quick update: Fred Bince’s 1951 Gardena rollever has been replaced with Danny Weinberg. There was a conflict between what 40 years said and what the local papers said, and since Bince is listed as a contributor in the 40 years book, @Microsprinter18 and I decided to give it the nod, assuming the papers just swiss cheesed it.

Book: “Andy Pierce started on the pole but lost sight of Teague quickly. Danny Weinberg and Pierce were both eliminated in an early wreck. Weinberg's Hudson broke a wheel and flipped after tagging the rear of Pierce's Buick. Freddie Lee then smashed into Pierce, went airborne and landed on top of the Pierce Buick.
This three-car mess completely blocked the race track.
Dick Rathmann, running with a full head of steam, barely missed the wreckage. Rathmann was able to continue and finished seventh.”

Paper:
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

oh shit....
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
Waldi

Post by Waldi »

There it is
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ARCA almost fired back with a flip of their own right there, Andres Perez got very very lucky...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Once again we are making the decision to release two flips from the list due to a lack of evidence, Al Neal at the 2nd Langhorne race of 1954 and Elmo Langley at the 2nd Lakewood race of 1958.

This list has become an unstoppable force and these two flips specifically have been the only immovable objects for a very long time. Neither of these are mentioned in any kind of newspaper report or any of the literature I've acquired to help me with this project. Unless something from an outside source comes up, all roads seem like they will continue leading to nowhere when it comes to these two.

Elmo Langley did crash out of the Lakewood race, "slamming into the wall in turn 4".

The picture of Woody Coleman's accident in an ARCA race at Lakewood (you know, the one where the guy's escaping the wreck wearing nothing but his draws) seemed to have been mislabeled as Elmo Langley's accident for some time, and that's possibly why the idea of him flipping was accepted as canon.

We'll probably make these up during the Daytona doubleheader here soon though...
(update: we did not.)
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Just spent the last couple days updating and decluttering a lot of the posts with newspaper reports. A lot of my earlier posts in this thread should look a lot neater now.

I'll be staying in Austin for the races at COTA this weekend (we're talking a 19 hour drive one way 😬), so should anything happen, @Stanky and @Seibara are gonna be taking the reins until I come back.
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

ADDED: Ted Rambo North Wilkesboro 1954:

Also included is the description of the Bud Harless flip, which is already on the list

AND Arden Mounts (another one!) Winston-Salem 1955:

Unfortunately, since Mounts’s first roll looks like it COULD be the same as the one we’ve previously identified as Spartanburg, we might have to take that one off the list, given that there’s no evidence that he rolled there other than that photo https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news ... /146301852

Edit: That getty picture is, in fact, the Spartanburg flip
Last edited by Stanky 7 hours ago, edited 2 times in total.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stanky wrote: 2 weeks ago Unfortunately, since Mounts’s first roll looks like it COULD be the same as the one we’ve previously identified as Spartanburg, we might have to take that one off the list, given that there’s no evidence that he rolled there other than that photo
The Spartanburg 1955 one is legit.

From "Silent Speedways of the Carolinas" by Perry Allen Wood:
"Arden Mounts rolled his Hudson in the second turn landing on his lid facing traffic."
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

earnhardt98 wrote: 4 months ago Do we think Eddie Gray flipped in the 1958 Southern 500?
https://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashph ... itid1=7199
Yes

(servation)
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 2 years ago
You may be right about the Keselowski incident. I'll take it up with the rest of the gang and go from there! :lol:
Ron Keselowski 1972 Atlanta 500 has been removed from the list. Forty Years does say that he flipped, but I did some digging through 50+ newspapers mentioning the incident and none of them mention a flip, not to mention the fact that we now have five action shots and an aftermath picture in the stock car crashes thread.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

pain and anguish
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 2 years ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 2 years ago That looks like a highway wreck. No competition number, no sponsors and no racing or marshalling gear on any one of the persons standing around. How many Bob Smiths lived in Hillsboro in 1949?
You do have a really good point, but I ran with it for three reasons...
1) It was a photo they threw up during the Lost Speedways episode of Occoneechee Speedway when they started talking about the accidents that happened at the track.
2) There is a very faint #2, or a two-digit number that started with a 2, on the door. The only #2 or #2X Oldsmobile 88s known to have wrecked at Occoneechee were Red Byron (#22) and Bob Smith (#25) both in 1949. Byron's crash was separate from Bob's and involved two other cars.
3) Bob Smith's name has popped up on the other flip lists.

The picture might not be of Bob Smith's flip, but there must be a fraction of truth out there that he turned it over.
Thanks to @Microsprinter18 and some old year books on ebay, we have been able to identify that this https://imgur.com/EkWF23N is actually Bill Blair in the 1950 Hillsboro race (also drove a ‘49 Olds 88, that’s where the confusion started). The aftermath photo with the windshield shattered and the faint 2 on the roof is also this incident. It appears that Bob Smith’s wreck in the 1949 race involved him losing a wheel and gently driving over the bank.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stanky wrote: 1 week ago Thanks to @Microsprinter18 and some old year books on ebay, we have been able to identify that this https://imgur.com/EkWF23N is actually Bill Blair in the 1950 Hillsboro race (also drove a ‘49 Olds 88, that’s where the confusion started). The aftermath photo with the windshield shattered and the faint 2 on the roof is also this incident. It appears that Bob Smith’s wreck in the 1949 race involved him losing a wheel and gently driving over the bank.
Yeah so basically what we've done here is we've taken the Bob Smith entry off the list and replaced it with Bill Blair. I think it's safe to assume, for now, that Bob Smith did not flip in his wreck. None of the 40 Years books, or any newspapers, ever said he outright flipped over when he left the track.

The only thing that really kept him on the list was the fact that his name popped up on the other flip lists going around, and this picture showing up on the Lost Speedways episode of the track seemed to cement that.

@Stanky came across a yearbook on ebay that had a report of the August 1950 race, and it had that picture of the blank Oldsmobile flying off the edge of the track with the caption "Bill Blair goes over the bank in his no.2 Oldsmobile". Bearing in mind he wasn't listed as "crash" in the results, which is absolutely why he went overlooked.

Looking at the aftermath photo of the demolished blank Oldsmobile with the faded paint pen #2 on the driver's door, I'd say without a doubt that this is probably Bill Blair and not Bob Smith here.
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

Two new flips today, Herb Thomas and John Soares in the second race at Macon in 1954

We also discovered today that Soares biked it twice in the first race at Oakland earlier in the year (and continued and finished THIRD!)

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well, on one of the hardest nights of my life in a long time, the grind must continue. Thanks to @Stanky, we've added two more to the list today.

Bill Morton at the Fall 1955 race at Memphis.
(source comes from this article)

and Johnny Allen at the 1956 race at North Wilkesboro.
(picture #4)
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It looks like we're going to be adding another one, Dick Eagan at the January 1952 race at West Palm Beach.

For the longest time this particular accident was on the expanded list as only a "half flip" because the only source at the time, which I believe was a comment on racing reference about the race before their comment sections went dark, claimed he just laid it on his side.

Then, right on cue, @Stanky asked me...

He's found a newspaper source that claims he likely did at least a full roll and came to rest on his door.