2024 Formula 1 car pre-season tests

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Lots of these cars are a little too busy. They seem to all have the scheme of splotches of color with sploches of black: Haas, McLaren, Sauber, Williams, Alpine...

At least Sauber will stand out by their tacky choice of colors.

Williams will stand out with the Duracell air box, which I think is kind of cute.

Alpine at least tries to add a little flow to their design, which makes is slightly better than all the other bad liveries. From the top it looks better but otherwise, it is more of the same.

5 color schemes, and certain mind-numbing sameness to them. Hopefully, the other five cars will come up with something more unique and distinctive.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Only the steering wheel survived radical Alpine redesign
That's just great. Sauber the same. There will be a lot of people nervous when car leave the pit lane during testing.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Aty wrote: 2 months ago
Only the steering wheel survived radical Alpine redesign
That's just great. Sauber the same. There will be a lot of people nervous when car leave the pit lane during testing.
I saw that claim. Alpine is one team I would like to see do well. I like both of their drivers and do not believe that either have lived up to their potential. It would be nice to have an effective Alpine for a change.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Ruslan wrote: 2 months ago Lots of these cars are a little too busy. They seem to all have the scheme of splotches of color with sploches of black: Haas, McLaren, Sauber, Williams, Alpine...

At least Sauber will stand out by their tacky choice of colors.

Williams will stand out with the Duracell air box, which I think is kind of cute.

Alpine at least tries to add a little flow to their design, which makes is slightly better than all the other bad liveries. From the top it looks better but otherwise, it is more of the same.

5 color schemes, and certain mind-numbing sameness to them. Hopefully, the other five cars will come up with something more unique and distinctive.
I have a feeling I read something last year about the paint used being a weight consideration. If that is the case it makes sense to keep most of the car black and only add splashes of colour, as they seem to be doing this year.

Saying that, whoever chose that shade of green for Sauber was clearly wearing dark glasses at the time!! That is VERY green.

I like the Alpine best of the most recent colour ways, the McLaren is good too. Those two are my favourites, so far.....
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 2 months ago Saying that, whoever chose that shade of green for Sauber was clearly wearing dark glasses at the time!! That is VERY green.
Well, I am colorblind, and it seemed a little bright to me.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Could use some more green imo, there is already way too much black on the grid.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Michkov wrote: 2 months ago Could use some more green imo, there is already way too much black on the grid.
Black is light in weight. ie plain carbon fibre, no additional paint weight. The paint adds between 6 and 10 kgs to the weight of an F1 car depending how much is painted. (That was the figure given last year.by Sauber when it was Alfa)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Thread theme, if this black nonsense keeps up:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Bit of a lull until the 12th then, but that'll be where we get some of the good stuff.

12 February - Aston Martin

What will the mood in the Aston Martin camp be this season? It's an important year for them as they need to show that last season was a hint at things to come rather than just them getting it right before falling back to their natural position in the pecking order.

13 February - Ferrari

They've promised a new car and new philosophy. There is potential for turmoil in the camp as Sainz will be slowly pushed to the fringes of car development. Will this give Charles a big advantage as the season goes on, and the opportunity to build a car based on his style in 2025?

14 February - Mercedes

Just LOL. This will be tears and tantrums in 2024.

14 February - McLaren

Nothing of note here. Same drivers. Slightly difference paint scheme which we've already seen.

15 February - Red Bull

Don't tell anybody what to do if you attend the launch. Somebody might accuse you of being controlling.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 2 months ago Thread theme, if this black nonsense keeps up:

Back at you:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I'm liking the colours on the new RB car, that blue is a particular favourite of mine :cool:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Looks a lot better than the Red Bull livery.

Some more pics.....

The VCARB 01 retains many of the design elements of last year’s AlphaTauri AT04..... the most obvious change is to the sidepod area – and especially the inlets.

RB has moved towards the concept that Red Bull has previously used, although its current design is more similar to the 2022 RB18. Maybe that is to counter any claims of it being an RB clone. Of course we are yet to see what direction the Red Bull team take this year with their evolution of last years car so comparisons are more relevant when RB show off their 2024 car.

As usual the cars that we see at launch and even testing will be different to what we see come practice 1 for Bahrain..

Will this be the car that the team has high hopes of being able to make progress this season ? Will it help make them be perceived as less of the "Junior" team and more a serious cometitor in its own right? Changes made in updates last year moved them up from the season start tailender to regular points challengers. Will that trend continue with the developments seen and no doubt in store for when the season proper starts.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

It's a decent livery (and the best so far, although that's not difficult) but I do wish they'd left it all blue rather than add the white/red stripes. That, or move them so they followed the lines of the car better. They kind of look like they were thrown on in Photoshop at the last minute when the livery concept was being done.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago
Michkov wrote: 2 months ago Could use some more green imo, there is already way too much black on the grid.
Black is light in weight. ie plain carbon fibre, no additional paint weight. The paint adds between 6 and 10 kgs to the weight of an F1 car depending how much is painted. (That was the figure given last year.by Sauber when it was Alfa)
I know, it's just the bare carbon liveries fail on both the technical and entertainment account for me. On the technical side we have huge 800kg single seaters and the teams are trying to shave grams off by omitting paint. On the entertainment side non of these liveries hold a candle to even the simplest liveries of the past. Even the black Arrows looked better than the random colour splashes we are presented here.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 2 months ago I'm liking the colours on the new RB car, that blue is a particular favourite of mine :cool:
A Blue Red Bull.... I am so confused.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Ruslan wrote: 2 months ago
Star wrote: 2 months ago I'm liking the colours on the new RB car, that blue is a particular favourite of mine :cool:
A Blue Red Bull.... I am so confused.
This is not the full Red Bull, this was Alpha Tauri last year and Toro Rosso before that. The full name this year is Visa Cash App RB, to be known as RB when they actually get racing. The actual proper Red Bull launch isn't until next week. I know, having one called Red Bull and one called RB makes no sense to me either :rolleyes: