The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
earnhardt98
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona Int'l Speedway

Post by earnhardt98 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Found this newspaper clipping saying that Joe Weatherly flipped in the 1963 Golden State 400. They could mean he drove up the bank, though.
earnhardt98

Post by earnhardt98 »

This newspaper says that Frank Carlini only went through the fence at the 1951 Dayton race.

awesomesandwich

Post by awesomesandwich »

earnhardt98 wrote: 3 months ago Found this newspaper clipping saying that Joe Weatherly flipped in the 1963 Golden State 400. They could mean he drove up the bank, though.
That sounds almost like when Dave Stacy flipped up an embankment at Daytona in 1994.
awesomesandwich

Post by awesomesandwich »

@earnhardt98 I’d take note of the use of the word ‘plunged,’ as that can be a bit ambiguous. However, this quote from the Forty Years book seems to imply that he flipped.
Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago Well, my copy of "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing - Volume 1" came in, and we have an astonishing 14 new flips to add!

1951 - Frank Carlini - Dayton II
"...rolled his car in the same spot (where John McGinley crashed earlier on) later in the race"
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

Whew...here we go.
awesomesandwich wrote: 3 months ago Is there another source for the Ed Brown wreck at Las Vegas?
Yes there is.
earnhardt98 wrote: 3 months ago Found this newspaper clipping saying that Joe Weatherly flipped in the 1963 Golden State 400. They could mean he drove up the bank, though.
I've found other newspapers reported on this incident as well, but they all use the same exact description word for word. I'm certain they just used the word "rolled" in the sense that he simply drove up the bank. Not to mention there's no signs of manipulation or repairs to the car during the race, especially compared to Ken Miles' car.

The verbiage has tripped me up in another incident before, so I definitely get it.
earnhardt98 wrote: 2 months ago This newspaper says that Frank Carlini only went through the fence at the 1951 Dayton race.
See @awesomesandwich's post above. The 40 Years books absolutely do not miss.
Somebody has to live for tomorrow. Why not you?
Stanky
Favourite Driver: Ross Chastain

Post by Stanky »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 2 months ago Whew...here we go.

I've found other newspapers reported on this incident as well, but they all use the same exact description word for word. I'm certain they just used the word "rolled" in the sense that he simply drove up the bank. Not to mention there's no signs of manipulation or repairs to the car during the race, especially compared to Ken Miles' car.

The verbiage has tripped me up in another incident before, so I definitely get it.
earnhardt98 wrote: 2 months ago This newspaper says that Frank Carlini only went through the fence at the 1951 Dayton race.
See @awesomesandwich's post above. The 40 Years books absolutely do not miss.
Thank you, and that was about 20 years before backup cars became a real thing, so that theory can also be scratched
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

I was able to find this photo of Ralph Liguori flipping at Pittsburgh, but I can’t find one of the other flip. I believe this was the one that happened in the race, but I’m not sure.
Last edited by Stanky 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Stanky

Post by Stanky »

Although the caption claims that this happened during a cup race, I would assume that this was the testing flip, because there was no Rebel 400 in 1964 (or any 400 mile darlington race for that matter) and his reason for dnf in the southern 500 was vibration https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news- ... /108936524
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stanky wrote: 2 months ago I was able to find this photo of Ralph Liguori flipping at Pittsburgh, but I can’t find one of the other flip. I believe this was the one that happened in the race, but I’m not sure.
This is a comment that was on racing reference from one Harold Sears:
"I was there for this race with Lucky Sawyer car #96 a '49 Ford, and for some unknown reason I have not been able to see any results showing where he competed. I was only 15 at the time and that is where we met Ralph Liguori. Ralph rolled over his car in practice. A young fellow offered for Ralph to start the race and was supposed to park it after 25 laps. But, Ralph rolled over this car also. And it did not belong to the young fellow. His mother was the correct owner (newly purchased dark blue '50 Ford 2 dr.) Lucky towed it back to a Cumberland MD Ford dealership for repairs. Ralph followed us to Cumberland. If you can picture a gray #96 towing a damaged blue #00 followed by a damaged black #00. People must have thought we were a bunch of crazy people. I don't know what ever happen to the young fellow when confronted by his mother."
Stanky wrote: 2 months ago Although the caption claims that this happened during a cup race, I would assume that this was the testing flip, because there was no Rebel 400 in 1964 (or any 400 mile darlington race for that matter) and his reason for dnf in the southern 500 was vibration https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news- ... /108936524
This is from the Atlanta race.
earnhardt98

Post by earnhardt98 »

Found this. It claims that Leo Caldwell flipped on the 125th lap of the May 30, 1951 Canfield race.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

earnhardt98 wrote: 2 months ago Found this. It claims that Leo Caldwell flipped on the 125th lap of the May 30, 1951 Canfield race.
Hell yeah, added to the list. Pretty work my friend 👍

Do you happen to have the full race report from that paper?
earnhardt98

Post by earnhardt98 »

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

earnhardt98 wrote: 2 months ago Yes
Thank you, and guess what?! THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!

Looks like Jack Goodwin flipped sometime during the race as well!
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

...and we have yet another one!! The paper spells his name wrong, but Bobby Courtwright flipped in the 1950 Canfield race.
earnhardt98

Post by earnhardt98 »

Looks like another one. Jack Reynolds flipped in the 1952 Canfield race.

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

earnhardt98 wrote: 2 months ago Looks like another one. Jack Reynolds flipped in the 1952 Canfield race.
There is actually some aftermath footage of this accident at 1:27 in this video.