[cpdb] Fixes/Revisions List

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#316

Post by hollie3sa »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Has the 1st photo in the CPdB entry of the terrible 1970 Karlskoga accident ever been fully identified?

Image

***WARNING - FATAL ACCIDENT***

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=5244

***WARNING - FATAL ACCIDENT***

I can only find it in this one post here by @PTRACER but not with a full ID.

viewtopic.php?p=387471#p387471



He's also posted one picture in which one of the cars was in a similar position in mid-air from the Karlskoga accident. But I can not find necessarily find a connection.

viewtopic.php?p=387470#p387470
User avatar
hollie3sa
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: 8 years ago

#317

Post by hollie3sa »

hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago
The Ost wrote: 6 years ago Forgot to add these ones:

Aftermath of Greg Lancaster crash at Pukekohe Raceway, 1975:
Image

Greg Lancaster (white car at rear) and an unknown driver (yellow car) crash at Pukekohe raceway, 1983:
Do you remember where you found the photo? It's shown here, the year given is 1975:

http://www.wares.co.nz/articles/2016/se ... lancaster/

On Facebook I found another photo that possibly matches the accident (number/damage to the left side & rear of the car) which was the cover of a 1974 Motoraction issue. The accident on the cover supposedly happened one week prior.

Image

The CPdB entry is wrong. I'll leave it like this for now.

http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... itid1=5275
Also: If anyone could have a look at this?
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#318

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

acerogers58 wrote: 2 years ago
DaleJuniorFan wrote: 2 years ago Image

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... ditid1=487

This photo was posted at the top of the above CPdB entry. I have reason to believe it is not from the same wreck, due the side number on the car being noticeably larger than in the rest of the photos, and the number style being slightly different in general. By process of elimination, this pic is likely of Peters blowing an engine in the fall Dover race in 1983, his only other Cup start, where judging from the pic, he either got loose and saved it or spun fully as a result.
I believe you're right, car also has a small UNO logo on it during the crash, which isn't there in that picture

Image
Found two pics of the '83 Dover incident on Ebay, so that should close the book on any confusion:

Image
Image
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42089
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#319

Post by PTRACER »

Removed the crash of Allen Craig Mouton at the request of the family.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#320

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Removed the crash of Allen Craig Mouton at the request of the family.
This can be a "precedent".
What should we do in such cases?
I can understand that you don't want legal troubles, but, as far as I can see, that entry didn't contain anything graphic and/or distressing.
The problem is that the entry was one of the first things that showed up when you searched for his name in Google. And that can be a problem.

Also, the accident was not posted here, but only in the CPDB.
Motorsportrace
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#321

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

The crash below is listed as Jerry Hansen in the 1980 ARCA 200:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... itid1=6791

This is probably Bill Schmitt in either the Daytona 500 or the Twin-125 qualifier of the same year; since he blew an engine in the 500, I would lean toward the former. Hansen's ARCA car was a Chevy Chevelle, but the body style and paint scheme shown in the photo matches the Oldsmobile 442 that Schmitt drove during Daytona Speedweeks and the Winston West Series.
Pic below is of Schmitt's West car from that year, which would've also run the Cup Series west coast events at Riverside and Ontario, and on this occasion, Daytona.

Image

https://www.racing-reference.info/race- ... ona_500/W/
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1946
Joined: 5 years ago

#322

Post by acerogers58 »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 2 years ago The crash below is listed as Jerry Hansen in the 1980 ARCA 200:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... itid1=6791

This is probably Bill Schmitt in either the Daytona 500 or the Twin-125 qualifier of the same year; since he blew an engine in the 500, I would lean toward the former. Hansen's ARCA car was a Chevy Chevelle, but the body style and paint scheme shown in the photo matches the Oldsmobile 442 that Schmitt drove during Daytona Speedweeks and the Winston West Series.
Pic below is of Schmitt's West car from that year, which would've also run the Cup Series west coast events at Riverside and Ontario, and on this occasion, Daytona.

Image

https://www.racing-reference.info/race- ... ona_500/W/
Photo came from this page.

Image
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42089
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#323

Post by PTRACER »

Motorsportrace wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Removed the crash of Allen Craig Mouton at the request of the family.
This can be a "precedent".
What should we do in such cases?
I can understand that you don't want legal troubles, but, as far as I can see, that entry didn't contain anything graphic and/or distressing.
The problem is that the entry was one of the first things that showed up when you searched for his name in Google. And that can be a problem.

Also, the accident was not posted here, but only in the CPDB.
Just go ahead and remove them. The family member was supposedly the person's 14 year old daughter. I don't feel I have any real case to argue against not removing them.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 48419
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#324

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Motorsportrace wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago Removed the crash of Allen Craig Mouton at the request of the family.
This can be a "precedent".
What should we do in such cases?
I can understand that you don't want legal troubles, but, as far as I can see, that entry didn't contain anything graphic and/or distressing.
The problem is that the entry was one of the first things that showed up when you searched for his name in Google. And that can be a problem.

Also, the accident was not posted here, but only in the CPDB.
Just go ahead and remove them. The family member was supposedly the person's 14 year old daughter. I don't feel I have any real case to argue against not removing them.
Well knowing a google search of his name to see what her Father might have achieved brings up pictures of her his fatal accident I can understand and respect his daughters reaction. Anyone (ie family member) searching to see his achievements are greeted immediately by a picture of how he died.

But I guess that is the nature of the internet , freedom of info etc. For the sake of upsetting a grieving family I think as Paul says what case have you got.

It might only be within the restricted CPDB but that doesnt really wash when Google seems to have access to display what is within the database. Sort of makes a mockery of the word restricted......

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#325

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

acerogers58 wrote: 2 years ago
DaleJuniorFan wrote: 2 years ago The crash below is listed as Jerry Hansen in the 1980 ARCA 200:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... itid1=6791

This is probably Bill Schmitt in either the Daytona 500 or the Twin-125 qualifier of the same year; since he blew an engine in the 500, I would lean toward the former. Hansen's ARCA car was a Chevy Chevelle, but the body style and paint scheme shown in the photo matches the Oldsmobile 442 that Schmitt drove during Daytona Speedweeks and the Winston West Series.
Pic below is of Schmitt's West car from that year, which would've also run the Cup Series west coast events at Riverside and Ontario, and on this occasion, Daytona.

Image

https://www.racing-reference.info/race- ... ona_500/W/
Photo came from this page.

Image
Thanks for that, Ace. Just found it to be a weird coincidence, but hey, no use arguing with the facts. :smiley:
JThur01
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 66
Joined: 3 years ago
Real Name: Jim Thurman

#326

Post by JThur01 »

Oh yeah, that definitely looks to be Bill Schmitt's car. He was often sponsored by Old Milwaukee. As Western champ, he ran Daytona. The magazine apparently got races mixed up.
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#327

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Don't know if this was mentioned in another thread, but I noticed all photos linked to 'http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Benhuset' domain are down.
User avatar
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Posts: 3870
Joined: 13 years ago
Real Name: M
Location: Milan

#328

Post by Motorsportrace »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 1 year ago Don't know if this was mentioned in another thread, but I noticed all photos linked to 'http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Benhuset' domain are down.
Yes, Jesper told me he let the domain expire.
I thought all the stuff on there was saved to the-fastlane server some time ago.
Motorsportrace
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42089
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#329

Post by PTRACER »

Motorsportrace wrote: 1 year ago
DaleJuniorFan wrote: 1 year ago Don't know if this was mentioned in another thread, but I noticed all photos linked to 'http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Benhuset' domain are down.
Yes, Jesper told me he let the domain expire.
I thought all the stuff on there was saved to the-fastlane server some time ago.
Yeah basically everything that was posted by Jesper until he left here bar a few of the recent dirt track photos are all backed up on my HDD and on The Fastlane server.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 42089
Joined: 20 years ago
Real Name: Paul
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM
Contact:

#330

Post by PTRACER »

Correction - I have everything up until 11 Oct 2021. After that I did not bother to save anything. Maybe you guys can check the last 2.5 pages of Jesper's final posts and see if you can find anything online.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
User avatar
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Paul Smith
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar
Location: South Florida

#331

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... itid1=4697

Honest question: The car model is listed as a Ford Probe, but the overall shape and headlights look like either an Escort (the 1985-90 US-spec version). or a third-gen Mustang (1987-93). What do you guys think?
Post Reply