2025 Driver Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Posts: 2940
Joined: 4 years ago
Real Name: Gill
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

#136

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 2 weeks ago Driving for free? Jacques should have been paying Sauber to drive with some of the performances he put in at the end of his career!
As a fully paid up memebr of the Jacques Vileneuve fan club for a number of years, I know I should argue with you about that, but I really can't :nah: :sorrow:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10796
Joined: 8 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

#137

Post by MonteCristo »

Star wrote: 2 weeks ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 weeks ago Driving for free? Jacques should have been paying Sauber to drive with some of the performances he put in at the end of his career!
As a fully paid up memebr of the Jacques Vileneuve fan club for a number of years, I know I should argue with you about that, but I really can't :nah: :sorrow:
*team JV high-5*

I choose to believe that he was shockingly bad out of principle because he was being paid.

I don't think anyone can defeat that logic.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 49709
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#138

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 weeks ago
Antonelli is of course the other main option, albeit one of greater risk due to his lack of top level experience. Yes he has lots of old F1 cat testing planned and the balance of an as we stand underwhelming F2 campaign. He is going to struggle to match the likes of Leclerc and Russell who both won their debut F2 championships. I know Toto has huge expectations of the 17 year old, perhaps too high, but I cant see him being the sensible pick.

So in my opinion there is too much risk in promoting Antonelli into the Mercedes team for next year and the way should be clear for Sainz to go to Brackley with a two year deal in his hand. (Toto will likely prefer a single year) That gives Antonelli the oportunity and time to prove he is the real deal at Williams and be able to hit the ground running when he goes to Mercedes, as did George.
Things are ramping up on the Antonelli front.....

Reports are saying that an application for a Superlicence has now been lodged with the FIA.


Autosport reported it has emerged over the Miami GP weekend that a request has been lodged with the FIA for Antonelli to be granted an F1 superlicence, despite him not being the minimum 18 years old until August.

It is unclear which team this request has come from, and whether or not it is for just a practice licence or a full race seat.

Suggestions have pointed to it being Williams that is looking to evaluate Antonelli with a view to potentially replacing Sargeant if the American does not turnaround his disappointing start to the campaign.

Speaking in Miami on Friday, Williams team principal James Vowles played down talk that he was pushing hard for Antonelli, but did admit that Sargeant needed to up his game.

“I know nothing about what's going on with the Mercedes tests right now,” said Vowles.

Im calling bullshit on that...... other sources have said it is Williams who have applied for the license....
RACER understands that a request to the FIA to provide Antonelli with an exemption from the minimum age limit has been instigated by Williams team principal James Vowles rather than Mercedes, calling into question Logan Sargeant’s immediate future with the team.

Antonelli turns 18 on 25 August, meaning any dispensation would be required for the races up to and including the Dutch Grand Prix, but if it is not granted then he would be free to race in F1 from Monza onwards.

Despite the request, Vowles insists Sargeant has the ability to retain his seat based on his performances.
Vowles for the first time has alluded that Albon might have a performance based exit clause on his contract,.... he is otherwise tied to Williams until end 2025
Vowles also confirmed to F1 TV that
there would be no move to put Antontelli in the car at the next round in Imola, saying his focus is on improving the car’s performance to try and hold onto Albon.
I have a duty and responsibility to make this car faster first, because Alex is a championship-level driver. We’ve got to provide the right car for him to be behind him and we haven’t yet
Williams have on the other hand confirmed they now have a third chassis available for the first time this year. I just hope it isnt called into service for a Sargeant crash given the pressure he is now under. Reading between the lines this Miami weekend could be his last GP on US soil

The FIA confirms it (the Antonelli application) has been received but that there is a process to be followed and multiple different stakeholders are required to vote and agree to it as it requires a rule change.....superlicence approval for Antonelli would require support from the FIA’s various safety commissions.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
User avatar
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Posts: 2940
Joined: 4 years ago
Real Name: Gill
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Location: England

#139

Post by Star »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 weeks ago
Star wrote: 2 weeks ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 weeks ago Driving for free? Jacques should have been paying Sauber to drive with some of the performances he put in at the end of his career!
As a fully paid up memebr of the Jacques Vileneuve fan club for a number of years, I know I should argue with you about that, but I really can't :nah: :sorrow:
*team JV high-5*

I choose to believe that he was shockingly bad out of principle because he was being paid.

I don't think anyone can defeat that logic.
I agree :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
User avatar
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1845
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

#140

Post by Ruslan »

Oh... and Hulkenberg got a pay raise at Audi, going to make € 5M a year vice the € 2M he was making at Haas.: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motors ... 81a5&ei=11
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 49709
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#141

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Re Antonelli Wolff has said absolutely not to the rumours that he was even thinking of fast-tracking him into a Williams seat in place of Sargeant this year.

He said he had absolutely no part in the application for an exemption for the early exemption for him to receive a superlicence prior to his 18th birthday.

Wolff has completely ruled out that idea, saying there is no interest from Mercedes in changing its original plans for him.
"The dispensation was something that wasn't brought up by us and we have certainly stated from the beginning that that was not something we have pursued," Wolff said.

"I don't know where this belief comes from that Mercedes was keen on pushing that forward. Kimi needs to concentrate on his F2 campaign and he knows that.

"I think a champion is not going to be distracted by any of this. But certainly, at least it distracts me because everybody's asking me: 'What about Kimi and driving in Imola?

"This is not going to happen. This is not something that Mercedes wants. These rumours have gotten their own spin. Let's do Formula 2. We as a team have lots of other issues to resolve."

Wolff made clear that Mercedes had never expressed any interest in fast-tracking Antonelli into F1, and suggested that the dispensation request was something done by a third party.

"I think that this dispensation is probably something that got some traction because more and more people flirted with the idea," he said. "But it's certainly nothing that we have ever pushed from our side."
Last month, he also completed a maiden F1 test with the 2021 Mercedes W12 at the Red Bull Ring, followed by an Imola test in the more recent but trickier-to-drive 2022 W13.

"It's completely on the trajectory that we expected," Wolff said about his protege's progress.

"There are easier days, there are harder days. I think between the two drivers and the team, they need to sort out a few issues, but it's not unexpected. And the testing goes very well and we are just approaching it calm and collected.

"That is what we have planned before the season, a solid F2 campaign and testing for Mercedes, and we will continue to just do this. Everything else is just a distraction for all of us.

"It's not going to happen in the next few weeks or a couple of months."
That last line doesnt really fit in with the. absolutely not this year part of his statement and suggests something might happen when he turns 18 in August.

I have said before Antonelli has been somewhat underwhelming in F2.... he is 9th in the standings with just 24 points. When he turns 18 there will still be 4 rounds of the F2 championship left. .The final 2 rounds coincide with the final two rounds of the F1 Championship in Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#142

Post by Aty »

Door closing for Sainz as Perez nears new F1 deal
It is believed the Ferrari-departing Spaniard recently let a deadline set by Audi-owned Sauber pass, as he holds out for better options at Red Bull and Mercedes. But another rumour is that Toto Wolff is only offering Sainz, 29, a single-year offer to race at Mercedes next year - keeping the door open for the team chief's 17-year-old protege Kimi Antonelli for 2026.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/door-clo ... -deal.html

I don't know Carlos personnaly, but he seems a nice (polite, reserved) person. Why would he go to Mercedes if they really don't want him? To win WDC next year? That's of the table. Car is not there (yet). Play second fiddle to his teammate? Several media already declated Russell a team "leader". I have no idea why a team needs both, TP and a "team leader", or what that function actually encompasses. Maybe receiving preferencial treatment, or least risky race strategy, but in reality, I don't know. Anyway, it would not be a happy 2025 for Sainz. He can bet on that.

Guess who else is hiring, Carlos?
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 49709
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#143

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

But moving to Audi would be a two year at least sentence to driving arguably the worst car on the grid, a car way beneath his status. He would be better off at Alpine or VCARB. Even a one year at Mercedes and the hope that maybe he gets extended for a second year or alternatively another team has an opening is better than moving to Sauber in the short term.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#144

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago But moving to Audi would be a two year at least sentence to driving arguably the worst car on the grid, a car way beneath his status. He would be better off at Alpine or VCARB. Even a one year at Mercedes and the hope that maybe he gets extended for a second year or alternatively another team has an opening is better than moving to Sauber in the short term.
I would agree with you, if we assume that Sauber development will be stagnating for two more years.

X-factor; there were changes in the technical department, and new technical input is being directed towards 2025 car (and beyond). It was late for 2024 car, but it would be really bad news if, next year we see more of the same. You are assuming nothing will change. To preserve my sanity I have to think (and hope) differently. I've check jobs openings on their website. Sauber is hiring on massive scale. All for better tomorrow.

I should add - yes, it is risky business for all teams. Az Sauber little more than elsewhere.
User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 49709
Joined: 18 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

#145

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 1 week ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago But moving to Audi would be a two year at least sentence to driving arguably the worst car on the grid, a car way beneath his status. He would be better off at Alpine or VCARB. Even a one year at Mercedes and the hope that maybe he gets extended for a second year or alternatively another team has an opening is better than moving to Sauber in the short term.
I would agree with you, if we assume that Sauber development will be stagnating for two more years.

X-factor; there were changes in the technical department, and new technical input is being directed towards 2025 car (and beyond). It was late for 2024 car, but it would be really bad news if, next year we see more of the same. You are assuming nothing will change. To preserve my sanity I have to think (and hope) differently. I've check jobs openings on their website. Sauber is hiring on massive scale. All for better tomorrow.
My fear is that they (Audi) will be more interested in developing the 2026 car, the one that will carry the Audi name for the first time. My thought would be that for added feelgood for Audi would be to take as much improvement into 2026 over what they end 2025 with. If they put too much into Sauber 2025 and Audi 2026 is only 5% better it is not so complimentary for Audi than to take an undeveloped / underachieving 2025 Sauber, which becomes an Audi say 25% or more better than the Sauber is much more kudos for Audi.... more of a look how good Audi are to have improved the 2025 dud car by so much over a for all the might of Audi and millions of investment they only made a 5% improvement. I hope that makes sense what I am trying to convey.

My understanding is that Audi deliberately chose to not associate the Audi brand on the car for similar reasons. They want to launch Audi with a wow factor. They are investing for 2026 when it becomes Audi, not 2024 or 2025 Sauber. Many fringe fans now would be unaware of the Audi ownership of Sauber. Only the more hardcore fans that visit F1 websites and forums would be that educated in the detail. I know for fact that my brother and his son are F1 fans in as much as they watch the races, maybe just the highlights. They dont follow F1 news or visit motorsport forums. They know who certain drivers drive for. They certainly wouldnt be able to name every driver. But they are F1 fans. I mentioned Audi to my brother the other day. He was aware of having heard of a rumour they were joining but not the details.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#146

Post by Aty »

Albon signs multi-year contract extension with Williams
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... a5ZHglHYYq
User avatar
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1845
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

#147

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, that is significant. It means 1) He is not expecting to go to Mercedes anytime soon, and 2) If Antonelli is coming to Williams for a year or three, then it will be at the expense of Sargeant.

So, I gather we are now down to only two real choices for Mercedes, Sainz and Ocon.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#148

Post by Aty »

It's mystery why is Toto delaying his decision on naming a driver who will replace LH. If he cannot close a deal on his terms today, I am very much in doubt anything will change as time progresses. It seems that Max will stay where he is, unless a technical bomb explodes somewhere.

DOMENICALI ON RED BULL’S TWO F1 TEAMS, DOMINANCE AND HORNER
As for the Horner-scandal, the F1 Chief stated: “Our position, as Formula 1, is to let companies (in this case teams) follow the regulations and their internal codes of conduct, for which they obviously take responsibility.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/05/15 ... omagna-gp/
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 2353
Joined: 3 years ago
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

#149

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago
Aty wrote: 1 week ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago But moving to Audi would be a two year at least sentence to driving arguably the worst car on the grid, a car way beneath his status. He would be better off at Alpine or VCARB. Even a one year at Mercedes and the hope that maybe he gets extended for a second year or alternatively another team has an opening is better than moving to Sauber in the short term.
I would agree with you, if we assume that Sauber development will be stagnating for two more years.

X-factor; there were changes in the technical department, and new technical input is being directed towards 2025 car (and beyond). It was late for 2024 car, but it would be really bad news if, next year we see more of the same. You are assuming nothing will change. To preserve my sanity I have to think (and hope) differently. I've check jobs openings on their website. Sauber is hiring on massive scale. All for better tomorrow.
My fear is that they (Audi) will be more interested in developing the 2026 car, the one that will carry the Audi name for the first time. My thought would be that for added feelgood for Audi would be to take as much improvement into 2026 over what they end 2025 with. If they put too much into Sauber 2025 and Audi 2026 is only 5% better it is not so complimentary for Audi than to take an undeveloped / underachieving 2025 Sauber, which becomes an Audi say 25% or more better than the Sauber is much more kudos for Audi.... more of a look how good Audi are to have improved the 2025 dud car by so much over a for all the might of Audi and millions of investment they only made a 5% improvement. I hope that makes sense what I am trying to convey.

My understanding is that Audi deliberately chose to not associate the Audi brand on the car for similar reasons. They want to launch Audi with a wow factor. They are investing for 2026 when it becomes Audi, not 2024 or 2025 Sauber. Many fringe fans now would be unaware of the Audi ownership of Sauber. Only the more hardcore fans that visit F1 websites and forums would be that educated in the detail. I know for fact that my brother and his son are F1 fans in as much as they watch the races, maybe just the highlights. They dont follow F1 news or visit motorsport forums. They know who certain drivers drive for. They certainly wouldnt be able to name every driver. But they are F1 fans. I mentioned Audi to my brother the other day. He was aware of having heard of a rumour they were joining but not the details.
Corrective and improvement activites on the current car continue. Monies are being spent, and efforts are made to move current drivers up on the ladder. Seidl and ABB both spoke about it. Car isn't going to be redesigned from ground up, but they identified principal defficiencies based on comparative analyses with more successful cars on the grid, and are working on catching up as much as rules allow. Sure, Audi is not pleased having their name associated with current racing results, especially when technology link to current cars between Audi and Sauber was not formulated. Audi however supplies financial resources, but it is ABB who has to play the game.
User avatar
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1845
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

#150

Post by Ruslan »

Gasly to Audi if not Sainz is the latest rumor. This one actually makes sense: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 4db55&ei=8

Alpine is sitting on two capable drivers without a car to support them. Results wise, it is hard to pick between them, although I favor Ocon. Both are looking for something better. Sainz is going either to Audi or Mercedes. Ocon is the most likely candidate for Mercedes. These leaves Gasly dangling. If it Ocon to Mercedes and Sainz to Audi (which I consider the most likely scenario), the Gasly will be left at Alpine as the lead driver. Not sure who will be his teammate.
User avatar
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1845
Joined: 4 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually
Location: Washington, DC

#151

Post by Ruslan »

Current Scenario

Red Bull: Verstappen, Perez (not confirmed)
Ferrari: Leclerc, Hamilton (great line up... this is going to be fun)
Mercedes: Russell, open seat (guessing Ocon or Sainz)
McLaren: Norris, Piastri
Aston Martin: Alonso, Stroll?
Alpine: Ocon?, Gasly? (don't know who fills an open seat)
Audi: open seat, Hulkenberg (guessing Sainz or Gasly)
Williams: Albon, Sargeant?, Antonelli? Bottas?
Red Bull Jr: Tsunoda? Ricciardo? Lawson?
Haas: Magnussen? Bearman?

Floater: Sainz (either Audi, Mercedes, AM or RB)
Promoted: Hulkenberg, Ocon?
Probably gone: Bottas, Zhou, Sargent

1. It appears that RB Jr, Haas and Williams may become the home to up and coming drivers (Lawson, Bearman and Antonelli). Of course, someone has to leave or get promoted for them to have a spot.
2. It appears that the following drivers may be in their last year in F1: Bottas, Zhou, Sargeant, Ricciardo?
Last edited by Ruslan 2 days ago, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply